Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Elite Member

Default Oster Pipe Threader

I have found an older oster threading machine. Don't remember the model number, it's been a while since I've seen it. I do remember that it had an adjustable type die set, just for all 11-1/2 TPI threads, which is 1 to 2 inches. Are these adjustable sets a pain to use or not too bad? I mostly need to do 2 inch stuff. What do I need to look for in the machine? Just chuck up a piece and go to town? What's it worth?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Voice of Experience

Rigid uses adjustable dies too. Haven't used any other brand.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 07-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

Well I picked up the threader today, messed with it a bit there, and ended up taking it home to mess with it further. I bought it from a buddy of Cutter's. He had had it sitting there a while and hadn't had an offer on it for a while now.

It's an Oster 555 UT. Oster has sent me a PDF manual and told me it's from 1964.

I've given it a decent cleaning, and wen through a few things.

The motor is not working 100%, it's a small 1/2 HP motor mounted down low in the machine, hard to get to. I've pulled the brushes, and while not wore down too much, one of the brush's wires was loose from the end cap, and I soldered it back onto the cap. Cleaned them up a little, and put back in there. The motor still makes some noise, runs hot quickly, and has a lot of blue sparks visible through the vent holes. What can I do about this? Do I need to pull the motor and disasemble and clean the armature where the brushes contact real good? Or is it something else I need to look at? I managed to cut through a piece of 2 inch pipe with it, it wasn't groaning too much, but tried to thread it and the motor really bogged down and got warm.

I will hopefully get some pics posted later tonight, then you guys will know what I am talking about.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Bolt,

I have the machine you have. Great machine.... I paid $125.00 at an auction that had no one needing a threading machine. The shop made anchor bolt more than threading pipe so I had to buy dies for pipe.

My machines coolant pump is worn otherwise it is a fine machine.

Send us some pictures

Tom
Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
. I bought it from a buddy of Cutter's.
Travis?

I have recently gone through a couple of little 12v starter motors. Same thing, dragging & over heating. The Tecumseh had to have replacement bushings which I was lucky to find locally. The Briggs (on WhiteTrash) just got a good cleaning. The only other thing I did was to shoe-shine the old burn marks off the commutator and then scrape out the insulators to be sure it's not shorting over, and then as you did - be sure that I have good clean connections throughout. I also used a little .22 caliber gun barrel brush to clean the insides of the brush shoes. I have no idea what the official protocol is but it seems to have worked for me. Both tractors have been started quite a few times & the motors run cool now.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Elite Member

Yup, Travis had this sitting there under his porch.

Pics are coming soon.

I totaly tore into the whole machine, pretty well removed every bolt and pin in there, and I'm gonna go put it in a parts washer tommorow. It was so darn dirty I didn't know where to start anymore.

I pulled the motor apart, and cleaned everything thoroughly. The one brush I soldered was fine, but now the other had came undone. So that's why it was running crappy towards the end. The commutator/armature thingy was okay, needs a bit of polishing perhaps. I found a loose screw rolling around inside the motor. So I think it will be okay when I get it all put back together. The gear drive is split apart, will clean it and put in some grease that's not 40 years old.

This is actually kinda fun, now I know why you guys like rebuilding old tools so much. It so much better quality than things nowadays....
Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Elite Member

Here are some pics.

First shot is how I got it, 1/2 inch of oil and grime everywhere.

I have it all stripped apart now, motor is split open, and all the removable parts are off, so I can give it a thorough cleaning tommorow.

I have emailed to Oster for some prices on parts, will see how I like those soon enough.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Yup, Travis had this sitting there under his porch.

I really like Travis and I am glad you have found some things to buy from him. I haven't really done much business with him but every time I do, I feel good about it because we both always have something to take out of it. I can't always say that about things I buy or the people I buy things from.

About six months ago I found an old fiberglass mop sink half-buried out there in the sand that had a ding in the side that ruled it out for restaurant re-sale but works fine for me in the shop. He said I was welcome to it because he couldn't afford to charge anything for it - to restaurants. So we visited a while, as we always do and when I decided I better come home I tried to stick a $20 in his shirt pocket. He absolutely refused. He almost got mad at me.
I got tickled at him so he grinned and said, "This is my place and this is all my junk and if I want to give something away it's none of your danged business. I said I was gonna give it to you and that's what I'm going to do."
We laughed. I laughed all the way home.

Quote:
This is actually kinda fun, now I know why you guys like rebuilding old tools so much. It so much better quality than things nowadays....
Indeed. There is more to it than that for me. I like to believe that the men who made these fine old tools took some pride in their work and were pleased to know they turned out good products. Finding one I can restore to use every now & then seems to me to be a way of honoring that spirit, I guess. God knows I have plenty of throwaway tools too but I most enjoy the retreads and the few old pieces that have been in my family for over 50 years.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 07-24-2007, 05:29 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt
"commutator/armature thingy was okay
Got Pictures before cleaning ?

If you have a digital meter.
Set it to the lowest resistance range.
Check the resistance between each of the commutator bars. one bar NEXT to the other, (side by side)
The resistance should be the same, check them all.

Example would be; from bar 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5......

Your symptoms sounds like a loose wire that attaches to one of the commutator bars.

Don't scratch the commutator bars with your test probes.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Elite Member

Here are some more pics, getting it put back together.

A few pics of the motor. My question is, does the clip that hold the magnet into the case need to be screwed to the magnet, to create a sure ground, or does it not matter? By the looks of it, one tab was once screwed into the magent, but has broken. There was one loose screw inside the motor when I took it apart, but I'm not sure which one it is anymore and where it was from. It could be from anything and just fallen into the motor too.

The commutators all had continuity, but I didn't have a top notch meter with me, and as such, didn't get any exact readings. I suppose you want one that is capable of reading the continuity of your body when holding a probe in each hand.

Do I need to scuff the commutators clean, or what?

How clean does the rest of the armature and magnets need to be?

The parts from Oster are interesting, some parts are reasonable, others are outrageous. A set of dies ranges from 280 to 380 from them, for 4 little pieces of metal! There's always ebay...

What kind of oil do I need to use in the headstock where the spindle runs through? I can't find any mention of that in the owner's manual. There's a little gits oil cap on top to add oil into. It has oil impreganted bushings on either end.