Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 01-21-2007, 12:17 AM
no bull it's huge!

Well today my daughter and I drug the forge out of the barn and brought it up to the house. I have 2 old creepers that don't get used anymore so they are now a mobile base. We lit the fire right about dark and proceeded to do some heating and beating- texturing a rod for a rose stem. Working on the Vulcan is like swinging a dead blow hammer. The coal I used was in the forge already and looked to be mostly coked already, however it wasn't long before we had a large sticky mass that after it cooled looked to be a fist sized clinker. I'm going by the descriptions that I've read in the past. The next time we build a fire it will be with fresh coal and see if we have better luck. I also need to do something better for an anvil stand the stack of blocks move way too much.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:32 AM

Dr Dean, you probably reconnected the previously broken up clinker that existed in the forges coal/coke mixture. Or it could just be a grade of coal prone to clinker. When found, metallurgical grade coal in small marble size is mighty nice to work with. One smith I know hammers all his coal to this size before using it. I've always preferred working in a coal forge over a propane one. Maybe I liked the danger of burning my work up with the coal fire where as the propane is just too predictable.

We had a crazy guy in the forge group for a while that would cook his hotdog lunch over the coal forge. I guess he liked the bituminous flavor it added.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Sargent
One thing not mentioned about the care of anvils: Try to never hard strike your anvil in extremely cold weather. Its believed that anvils can break from this.
Please define "extremely cold weather" you live in 'bama. Extremely cold there is balmy here in Northen IL and a heat wave in Lynn Lake...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-21-2007, 09:20 PM

I personally would not hard strike an anvil below zero F. If there is a steadfast rule about it, I'm unaware.

Another good idea: Never use hammers which are harder than your anvil. A hard strike with a very hard hammer will damage an anvil which is not as hard.