Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-19-2019, 03:51 PM

Default Long copper cones

I want to make undulating 6-12ā€ long copper cones for a sculpture Iā€™d like to make. These would be about 1/2ā€ diam at the base and taper to a point. A friend showed me a technique for making these. You start with a straight piece of copper tubing and cut it to the length you desire. Then you use a bandsaw to cut a straight line through the pipe lengthwise, starting at the edge of one end of the pipe piece and progressing in a straight line across the pipe to the opposite edge at the opposite end of the pipe. You end up with two identical pieces after the cut. These then are closed up so that their cut edges come together and form a butt joint, which is soldered. After the taper is formed this way, it can be bent slightly by hand to make an undulating form. My question is about what kind of solder I should use? It needs to be a product that can bend with the copper while still holding the butt joint together.

Sent from my iPad using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 07-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Auction Addict

Any standard solder will work as long as you have a good bond of the solder. Make sure you have bright copper for soldering. Use some form of fine sanding to clean the copper. If you want a stronger bond, you can use silver solder.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Da Chief

If you have the means, tig brazing with grade 5 silver solder will yield a highly workable/ ductile joint, with minimal material.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradcarter View Post
I should use? It needs to be a product that can bend with the copper while still holding the butt joint together.

Sent from my iPad using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Low temperature solder will not hold a but joint if you try to bend it, you can re-solder it if it does break.

As others have stated you should use silver solder that melts up around 1500 deg.