Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-09-2019, 07:19 PM
Boiler God

Default Harbor Freight's New Air Tool Line

Recently, Harbor Freight has started to offer better grades of tools like their Bauer and Hercules lines, part of their Good/Better/Best concept, in their air tool offerings, they now have the Chief line. I have bought the Chief 4-1/2" angle grinder, an extended cut off grinder, an extended die grinder, a regular die grinder and a 3/8" and 1/2" air drills. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tools, they are made in Taiwan, are relatively quiet, smooth and well balanced. Most of the tools are in the $75-$100 price range, the air riveter and extended cut off tools are in the $150 range. Surprisingly for Harbor Freight, the 20% off coupon, does not at this point exclude Chief branded tools, which makes them a bigger bargain.

I have bought some of their cheaper air tools, while never disappointed, but seldom impressed, based on their cost, did performed their job. The Chief line is definitely a big step up, from the Central Pneumatic line. The 1/2" drill is all but a direct copy of the 1/2" Mac air drill (also Taiwan made) I own, is as strong and is somewhat smoother.

I really like the feel of the air riveter, but as I own a Marson, 2 Jets and a Snap-On sourced one, a fifth air riveter seems slight over kill.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:41 AM
SFT Historian

"they are made in Taiwan"

Is there Tariffs on Taiwan items?
Old 07-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Boiler God

Don't know!!

Even though I use them, out of convenience, I use battery powered tools, but I don't really like them, the balance seems wrong. I much prefer pneumatic, but at time its not a viable option.

The new HF Good/Better/Best plan is expanding the offerings that HF putting on the shelf.

Being on the service van that weight is everything, I no longer carry chrome sockets on the van. I've gone to solely impact sockets, about 10-15 years ago. About 10 years ago I starting to use HF impact sockets, they were durable, cheap to buy and if lost or stolen, it no big loss.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
"they are made in Taiwan"

Is there Tariffs on Taiwan items?
Nope!

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley