Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 10-14-2016, 06:01 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I never realized it took two heats and two applications of flux to weld. By the way I really liked the video regardless of the camera angle. The little things you do while waiting for the heat were very informative.
Takes as many heats as needed to finish the weld.. first weld is a tack weld.. second, 3rd, etc etc till the weld is finished..

Ideally if the object/item is made out of steel the fewer heats taken to weld something together the better. if you are not careful in welding steel you can damage the steel as the carbon can burn out and this is known as burnt steel.. Wrought iron not so much of a problem since it contains nearly 0% carbon..

this batch of flux has a great ability to stay fresh (not oxidize so stays fluid) so could probably not reflux for the second welding heat but it's just what I'm used to.. clean and reflux.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:34 AM
Elite Member

I just got to this thread and watched the video.

Loved the video. The only criticism would be that the work would at times start to disappear off the top of the screen.

For content, if you include what you just posted about coal fire management and the flux you make by heating borax you will already be way ahead of most books out there. I have never seen that info in a book and I have quite a few now.
I don't consider that 'beginner' info, rather very good info that an awful lot of people could benefit from.

I am always looking at woodworking books. The numerous examples that cover stuff right from the start....like identifying tools and their uses, timber choice etc.....I put them back. Once that has been learnt from the many many books, you tube and so on it is just repetition.
My favourites are what a friend called 'technical books' in particular those that cover the old ways of doing/making. Often today the emphasis is on power tool use and setup at the expense of how to actually make.

Your video which included heading a rivet was excellent. I watched and thought 'so that's how you do it.....'
Making hinges, latches and so on is gold to me and not so common in the blacksmithing book world.

When you write that book I will buy it. An included DVD for certain processes would be of great benefit to my thinking, the additional cost wouldn't put me off at all if the book already had me hooked.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

Jen, being a farrier since '77 and now not able to beat on metal due to my arm's situation, I lived vicariously through your video!! I think the content of the book has been discussed and well thought out so far. What I have been thinking about is the construction of the book. Maybe like the old stenographer tablets complete with the hole in the middle at the top of each page as well as the covers. Maybe with plastic type pages so it can be carried to the shop, hung on a nail to refer to, and with plastic type pages it can be wiped down clean.

I really like the idea of a chapter on making a tool and then using that tool to make something else in the next chapter. So, chapter one could be introduction, safety and terminology. Chapter 2 would be building a tool, chapter 3 using that tool to build something. Thus, even chapters would be tool building chapters, odd chapters building an item using the previously built tools.

Good luck and envy your enthusiasm and energy.