Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Gadget Girl

Default How To: hard way bend with 90° outside corner..

hard way bend with 90° outside corner.. funny how things take longer when your out of practice..

https://youtu.be/dLLXzbQkD54

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:48 PM
Elite Member

It looks lie it takes a LOT too long to get the work in a vise. The temp drops to dull red that started out white. Needs a helper to work the vise handle. :-)
...lew...
Old 03-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
It looks lie it takes a LOT too long to get the work in a vise. The temp drops to dull red that started out white. Needs a helper to work the vise handle. :-)
...lew...
There are actually a couple of things at play here.. 1st is I am so out of practice, last bend I did this way was 23-25 years ago..

2nd is: If you make things look to easy than people will believe they can't do it, They will be impressed, but they will think they are in no way skilled enough to pull it off..

So adding in a heat or 2 or 5 really keeps people thinking with this much time I can do it..

3rd: Color on the screen isn't always correct.. There is a huge variation in color for each type of screen..

The whole idea for any of these videos is to help others to have a desire to try the skills and techniques being shown.. It's the reason all the sub titles..

If was cold in the trailer so the vise did suck a lot of heat out of the thin sections pretty quickly, If you noticed I had my insulated coveralls on.. It's like 20F in the trailer.

Gotta walk before you can run..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 03-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Lord of the Minions

Jen, fantastic control on the heat and beat. If you were off, it would have cracked, easily. Well done.

Back in my childhood days tagging along behind the G'father I watched him shape and flatten a piece of round bar to give himself a nice piece of flat. He then used his folding wooden tape to make his framing square perfectly square with nice fine edges. He took time looking down one side then the other to keep things straight and true. Remarkable really.

Took the time to mark the graduations and numbering before he finished filing the square. After he had it all marked on both sides he had to true it up one last time and then filed it to a beautiful smooth finish.

I still have that square and it's hanging in my office. It looks old, but I had to be there when it was made to know how it came to be. Most folk don't believe that story until I show them the other fine pieces he forged in his lifetime. Once they see that this square is a little over 516" thick they tend to see it's heritage.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Lord of the Minions

Forgot to mention that he was constantly making squares and triangles with it and then checking measurements with his ruler and his eyes.

I was always so proud to say my Gpaw could make a carpenters square without the use of another square or a straight edge for precision.

I was equally proud of the amazing fact the man got his full school education and diploma while in his 30's while Farming and Smithing. He had never attended one day of school prior. Learned to write his name in his 20's.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-24-2018, 09:01 PM

I do very little "hot working" anymore. Mostly do shrinking.

What I noticed was your ability, and eye, to keep the outside edge of the corner from cracking. It has a tendancy to crack open if you mess up the heat. I see the same thing when I bend round stock. Have to go gently, and keep it in the red. Seems to lose its elasticity if you push it.

You got a cloven hoof thing goin' on

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 03-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Forgot to mention that he was constantly making squares and triangles with it and then checking measurements with his ruler and his eyes.

I was always so proud to say my Gpaw could make a carpenters square without the use of another square or a straight edge for precision.

I was equally proud of the amazing fact the man got his full school education and diploma while in his 30's while Farming and Smithing. He had never attended one day of school prior. Learned to write his name in his 20's.
Great story, What makes it even better is it's true and to think someone developed that kind of skill.

Very admirable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersamm View Post
I do very little "hot working" anymore. Mostly do shrinking.

What I noticed was your ability, and eye, to keep the outside edge of the corner from cracking. It has a tendancy to crack open if you mess up the heat. I see the same thing when I bend round stock. Have to go gently, and keep it in the red. Seems to lose its elasticity if you push it.

You got a cloven hoof thing goin' on
Usually it's the inside corner that poses the largest problem.(stress cracks as it's forced back on itself or cold shuts). If you watch the video again, you can see where I nearly doubled the width with also and an increase in thickness.. It's very easy to see..

in 2 heats I nearly lost all that thickness because I was a little lost with the technique.. I then had to make up for it with a different technique at the anvil where I upset each leg back into itself.. Sadly my water was completely frozen so it took like 5 heats to get it back to where i wanted it..

A lot of this stuff now is a relearning process as the techniques weren't used daily and it was nearly a lifetime ago.. Or at just how I see it go by time wise..

Thanks for commenting.. It does make a difference..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"