Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 04-01-2016, 06:11 AM
Made From Scratch

Damn near new!

I have a 26 year old mare that's less swaybacked than the used anvils I find around here
Old 04-01-2016, 06:15 AM
Gadget Girl

Here the anvil is as brought home condition.. I haven't clean it up yet..

I'll get out the sanders etc, etc..

It is sitting in front of a 200lbs Columbian... By the way.. I have noticed the Columbian anvils have a very close resembelance to the HB's basic shape.. The columbians have a very wide base.. The HB 175lbs and the 200lbs columbian have exactly the same length face, width and horn.

I have also included 3 pictures of the 223lbs anvil I went to look at.. The face is mint.. The edges you can just about cut yourself on them.. The horn sadly is worn from all the cold work.. I was so proud of myself when i was able to walk away..

This is an older style Hay Budden... you can see the face is welded on and it's about 1/2" thick..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160331_194107.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	130267   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160331_194113.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	130268   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160329_093958.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	130269   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160329_094007.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	130270   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160329_094051.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	130271  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

Last edited by allessence; 04-01-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Woman! How Much!!!

Damn she is pretty!!!
1200+ 120.00 in fuel.. She is pretty... Wait for the finial reveal..

1200 was the asking price and when I got there I asked if he had any wiggle room on the price.. He said NO.. He just got off the phone with a Hay Budden expert and was told he could sell it for 2500.00 everyday of the week..

I had no problem handing him the 1200.00.. I must be part gypsy as I had to ask anyhow though I expected to pay the 1200.00...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I'm jealous. I've wanted a nimba gladiator ever since I found out they exist, but I will never spend the money. I have one of the 110lb cast steel anvils that harbor freight carried for a short period, that I did a lot of work shining up and flattening. Its better than any old anvils I've seen at farm auctions and what not around here but leaves a lot to be desired. People either don't know what they have and destroy them, or do know what they have and price them like gold.
Matt, Over the years I have owned 10 anvils.. In the early days I would buy and swap or trade always looking for a move up in weight and in quality of anvil.. Took me about 5 years to find the Hay Budden 175lbs and I was just driving by a farm.. I stopped and asked him if he was willing to sell it.. " Hell no.. You stupid or something" was his response.. I said what about a trade and some cash.. He said is it in good shape.. Yes. Was my current 150lbs NO name. Does it ring? yes it does.. Bring it by and I'll decide after I see it..

Few days later I brought it by and he hit it with a hammer and it rang nice.. He said OK lets deal how much cash.. 100? no.. I said okay lets cut the crap.. 150.00 YES..

Back then a 150lbs anvil and 150.00 cash.. I was being robbed.. I had no problem paying him...

That anvil has been awesome..

Just keep looking.. by the way I had to go 1000+ miles to get this one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Awesome!

Hauling it in the car is a stunt I would pull. I would probably put a seat belt on it however.

Just imagine if there were an accident. How would they describe the carnage that baby could do!!??

Sent from my ipotato
funny you should mention it.. I was thinking the same thing and shame on me but I didn't strap it down at all.. There was no way I could get anything of strength to tie to.. and I wanted it as close to the center of the car as possible.. Only moved about 1" when I went a little fast on an on ramp..

Was so happy to get it home with no incident and get it unloaded..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
Very Very Cool, I look online around here every once in a while. Anvils period are a rare commodity. Hay Buddens seem to be in the realm of Unobtanuim.
Back when I started Blacksmithing all the blacksmiths I knew looked at Hay Buddens as second class anvils..

I like the second generation HB's because the complete bottom to top are forged Tool steel with no welded face.. Just feet welded on at the waist..

Back when I was refacing anvils (fixing corners and such) a plate welded onto the top was really tough to work with as some would delaminate when reshaped, making the anvil useless..

A Hay budden anvil even completely abused with all the corners rounded off can be brought back to brand new with just a little TLC, a big forge and some hard work..

Wasn't till Other anvil makers switched to a solid forging that they offered the same quality.. Hay buddens were ahead of their time..

And yes.. In more recent times they have gotten more respectful. There are still some deals out there but Now wether it's a 150lbs or 200lbs for a good one in near mint shape your talking 700.00 or up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Wow!! How in the hell did you get it in there!! Nice anvil
Luckily the guy was great.. He had it up on a 2 legged bench we were able to get a second bench open the door put a bench in (I had brought the large plywood) and we slid it down the bench into the car on top of the plywood.. Then just laid it down in the back of the car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
1000 mile road trips to buy a tool are not for everyone. I've done it many times and I'm glad to see that you've done it too.
Congrats on a good find Jen, can't wait for the rest of the story.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Here you go.. Long road trips can be tough.. Sometimes it's the only way to get a deal though..

For me.. My problem is limited timeframe.. Most trips have to be strictly 1 day long.. So I used to pull 20hrs driving time at the max.. Any trips longer than that I won't do.. Sadly yesterday was the first long road trip in like 10 years and truthfully I could have pulled another 200miles and been okay but any longer and I wouldn't have been comfortable..

I only stop for the toilet and Gas.. Leg stretching happens at either otherwise it's tires meeting the pavement..

At least in theory. It's tough getting older..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 04-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Congrats Jen, on the find !

Yes, your not alone on the long road trips. Ive made it from Chicago to Tacoma, on the long end. Also SLC, Omaha, to name a few. If its oddball enough, and Im motivated, as long as its in the CONUS, I will do a road trip.

Ive got 2 rides I picked up in Metro SFO and drove home, bought a truck in Connecticut not too many years back, also brought 4 old jeeps out of Phoenix.

As far as your anvil trip, Ive gone about the same distance for allot less .

Ive been lucky with anvils, I picked up my first anvil exactly one mile down the road, also happens to be my next door neighbor across the street. Saw it in the shed, asked if it was for sale, she said yes, I said how much, she said $75.

The one in the last two pics, the girl friend bought at auction for me, I dont know anything about it, including whose anvil it is. Ive looked and tried to figure it out.

I had a blacksmith in my shop one day, he stopped the P/W, and tried to leave with it. I think he offered me $1200 for it, which may have been good money or ?, I dont know, told him it was not for sale. He put in on an anti-fatigue mat and " rang it ". He said it sounded good, me I dont know, what I know about anvils would not fill a thimble. I just know to buy one when I come across one..

Im fascinated with the concept of shooting anvils, If I come across two chinese anvils that are the same, I will buy them for that purpose..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3091.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	130275   Click image for larger version

Name:	3092.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	130276   Click image for larger version

Name:	3093.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	130277   Click image for larger version

Name:	1051.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	130278   Click image for larger version

Name:	1052.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	130279  

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 04-01-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: syntax correction
Old 04-01-2016, 12:00 PM
there has to be an answer

Jen that looks like a great deal. From one of your old anvil threads, I remember the prices of new anvils in that size range. I can see why you made the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
The one in the second two pics, the girl friend bought at auction for me, I dont know anything about it, including whose anvil it is. Ive looked and tried to figure it out.
On a quick search it looks like a 119 pounds Peter Wright.

http://www.abana.org/resources/discu...tml?1254359513

http://wovenminutia.blogspot.ca/2012/02/anvil.html

Your third anvil sure looks abused.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Gold Star Dad

Jen, just curious where in VA you got it.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:43 PM
That HURT!

Pop,
We all drive to your hood for a good deal.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Jen, just curious where in VA you got it.
My bad Pops.. I had looked at one in VA on the net.. Didn't actually drive down there.. If I did that I'd be there for a week as my Mom lives in Scottsville and I'd have to visit..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Gadget Girl

Made real good progress today..

I have 1 more session to finish out the polishing.. Then She will be ready for the stump..

I need a better way of doing these.. I have a 330lbs I need to do a redress on.. Once all the forging is done it has to be cleaned spotless of all scale, brought up to hardening temp, quenched, then polished again..

Not to bad on a 150-200lbs anvil but working on these bigger ones is tough..

I was thinking of making a large portable belt sander..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160401_133541.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	130281   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160401_183327.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	130282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160401_183318.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	130283  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Back when I was refacing anvils (fixing corners and such) a plate welded onto the top was really tough to work with as some would delaminate when reshaped, making the anvil useless..

A Hay budden anvil even completely abused with all the corners rounded off can be brought back to brand new with just a little TLC, a big forge and some hard work..

Wasn't till Other anvil makers switched to a solid forging that they offered the same quality.. Hay buddens were ahead of their time..
This is a comment I have seen before, and am curious if times and thinking have changed that much. I still have the Beales blacksmiths bible.
I used to be a lover of blacksmithing when I was young and my shoulders were not destroyed, and I had a 300 lb anvil that I repaired.

All the info I read up back then on an anvil said that the surface should be flat in the plane of the horn and rounded perpendicular to the horn by as much as 1/8 inch depending on the face width and the work that was done. They said this curvature aided in extruding and thinning stock, and you flip the work the other way to straighten it. The reading I did also warned against sharp edges on an anvil and stated that the edge is a tool and recommended 4 different radius on the edges for forming a right angle bend. They even recommended a 1/4 round for one part of the edge.
I did a bit of a search in modern day info and the results were similar. I suspect too many wanna be blacksmiths are proud that they "fixed" their anvils and I have met one authority who had put his in a milling machine. He would never dream of hitting that beautiful machined surface with a hammer.

Jen, you are a super skilled smith and I am away from that art for 40 years, and I guess the thinking and development of the craft changes how things are done.

And good score on that HB as well!

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson