Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 AM
Elite Member

Default Forged in Fire

Thumbing thru the channels last week and caught the last few minutes of Forged in Fire on the History Channel. After watching for a bit, I thought I recognized one of the contestants. Watched it last night and confirmed my suspicions.

For those who don't know, Forged in Fire is a cake bakeoff with knives. Another reality show...

Anywho, this guy is on fire. The contestant, Travis Wuertz, won the night by not outsmarting himself. He made a Viking sword from a single piece of leaf spring and intentionally knocked the tip off so he could judge if the temper was right before he stood before the judges.

So what does this have to do with new equipment?

Travis is a degreed engineer that improved on the 48" or xx inch belt grinder. A farmboy with an education. An engineer with an ideer.

There may be other similar machines, but this guy is making his grinders for the knife makers. They ain't cheap, but they are innovative. I found his website and marvel at the thought that went into making a simple grinder more productive.

Check it out if you have time. There are several informative videos of the finer points of knife grinding with his machine.

http://www.traviswuertz.com/?p=16473

http://www.traviswuertz.com/

To make a long story short, he & I were in some of the same classes and graduated from the UofA at the same time. He is as sharp as a tack and will find opportunities to capitalize on that you or I might miss. His 10hp Briggs and Stratton competition tractor in school would pull wheelies using a stock motor. I won't tell you how.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Made From Scratch

That is an impressive looking machine. I am amazed at the number of purpose built knife grinders out there now. When I bought my Coote grinder, it was pretty much it, a wilton square wheel, a bader, or a grizzly to choose from.

The KMG from beaumont metal works was actually designed with a lot of input from the makers on bladeforums about that same time I got my coote, and the number of attachments for it seems to keep growing.

These grinders really are awesome for a general fabricator as well, I can't imagine not having a 2x72 grinder in my shop even if I didn't make knives.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Gold Star Dad

There's another guy, on the east coast I think (Carolinas?), that makes some very versatile belt grinders for knife makers. Can't find the link at the moment.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 PM

Have you guys ever seen a Radius Master? It seems like quite a versatile belt grinder.
http://www.radiusmaster.com.au
Nick
Old 03-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Made From Scratch

Someone here (maybe Jack/platypus? ) has a radiusmaster. I remember them doing to a review on it. Looked like a heck of a nice machine. I'd like to have a ginder with horizontal capability but my coote serves me well enough I probably won't replace it.