Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 09-05-2011, 01:44 AM
SFT Historian

I only know some basics.
I cant see it being done without a regulator.

In the link is a temperature/pressure chart for propane.
at 90º F the vapor pressure is 149 psig
at 60º F the vapor pressure is 92 psig.

And the output pressure that I think you require will be fairly low and hard to control without a regulator.

Not knowing the volume you need to pull there is a good chance that the bottle will start frosting and the pressure will drop quite a bit.
be careful you don't freeze the regulator.

http://www.propanecarbs.com/propane.html

A camping trip I went on I frosted up one of the small 16oz bottles using it with a camping stove, the pressure drop was quite a bit.
on a side note there is small propane operated refrigerators.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Gold Star Dad

From what I can gather, low pressure fixed propane regs are set at 6 ounces. High pressure ones for bigger cookers can be preset at 10 or 20 PSI or the adjustable regs may be 0-30 or 0-60 PSI.

If you have a spare acetylene reg, try that.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

You are gonna need an adjustable regulator in psi. The one you are trying to use is for a gas grill. Its a fixed output and isnt enough for this type forge.

The Johnson type forges use a LOT of gas.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/7850_propane_regulator.htm

Something like the one in the above link. Amazon has them. Plan on using at least a 100 lb tank.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
You are gonna need an adjustable regulator in psi. The one you are trying to use is for a gas grill. Its a fixed output and isnt enough for this type forge.

The Johnson type forges use a LOT of gas.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/7850_propane_regulator.htm

Something like the one in the above link. Amazon has them. Plan on using at least a 100 lb tank.
Would this one be satisfactory for my 4 burner forge? It is a little cheaper.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 09-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

The regulator you quoted is in the UK. The price is in euros. I dont think its cheaper. I dont see a gauge on it either. Check the amazon price

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...5255660&sr=8-3

Its gonna be hard to beat twenty five bucks shipped to you. Im not sure how much pressure it will take to run all four burners. You will have to experiment with the pressure. It will be obvious as to the heat output and flame color. I wouldnt even try to run one on less than a 100 lb bottle. You will get an increase in efficiency if you block the sides off with firebrick.

Last edited by tnmike; 09-05-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
The regulator you quoted is in the UK. The price is in euros. I dont think its cheaper. I dont see a gauge on it either. Check the amazon price

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...5255660&sr=8-3

Its gonna be hard to beat twenty five bucks shipped to you. Im not sure how much pressure it will take to run all four burners. You will have to experiment with the pressure. It will be obvious as to the heat output and flame color. I wouldnt even try to run one on less than a 100 lb bottle. You will get an increase in efficiency if you block the sides off with firebrick.
Thanks for the info. I had a thought that may or may not be a good idea. Could I use one of my oxygen regulators? They will handle high pressure and they have a wide range of pressure capabilities.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

An acetylene regulator will work if you change the hose. I would order the one from amazon and call it good. Its made to work with propane. Its UL listed. Its cheap.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Milo, here in the southeast Agrisupply sells the high pressure adjustable regulators. Maybe Tractor Supply has them also.

http://www.agrisupply.com/high-press...84/cn/5400001/

Never drink downstream from the herd
Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I am slowly building a propane forge and have the burners completed. I test fired them and used a red adjustable regulator from a tiger torch. It runs best around 15 psi. I used .035 mig tips for jets.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I am slowly building a propane forge and have the burners completed. I test fired them and used a red adjustable regulator from a tiger torch. It runs best around 15 psi. I used .035 mig tips for jets.
My forge has no jets. Just LP into the blower, then through a plenum into the four 1/2 " holes on the refractory into the burn box. I can shut down two of the burners and run it on two burners if I want. I think I will need at least 30 psi to run 4 burners.

Groucho Marx