Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 PM

St Croix's shoes mostly but now and then pick up some off the wall shoes that are on sale. Been breaking horses, shoeing and trimming for almost 30 years now. Here in Texas we have what we refer to as Cowboy shoeing. Meaning nip off, rasp and shape shoe to hoof. It has worked for many years and I have never lamed a horse this way. We don't use the fancy words like All Natural It's my way or the Hwy. Am sorry but Pete and many of those other guys just try and be fancy with their words and trying to convince someone that they know more than the next guy. Just stick with the basics and you can't go wrong. I do like to have a slight mustang roll on my shod horses so as the hoof makes contact with the ground it can spread over the shoe. Normally 6 nails per shoe. Just my old fashioned way of doing things.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 PM

Sorry but I forgot to say that most of the horses I do are cutting horses, roping horses, ranch horses and trail horses. NO to the hunter jumpers and those that want more heel than toe and all other kinda wierd things.