Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 AM

Default My new to me ANVIL

Just picked this up.Never forged a thing in my life but have been wanting to learn .saw this on Ebay at $20 bucks with a few days left, put in a $40 bid and forgot about it.Happened to be on Ebay looking for taper shank bits and this was in my bidding on list with 3 minutes left. Said screw it and bid the $255 bucks in my wallet and won.I believe it is a cast or wrought iron body with a hardened steel face.Was completely covered in layers of paint and I was scared it was hiding a beat to hell scarred up face but the face is nice and flat virtually no hammer marks or gouges with only a tiny bit of torch cut marks near the heel.Tapped it with a 16 oz hammer,falling under it's own weight a few inches and the anvil practically throws it back.I'm asking over on Blade Forum to see if anyone can i.d. the make,there's a 21 marked in the body which I think has to do with the weight.Now I have to build me a forge :evil:

what do you guys think ?

Last edited by cutter; 09-23-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Blast this!

What did it weigh ? The 2.1 could be hundred weight .Been a while but I was thinking a 100 weight was 112 lbs.Please dopictures as attachment and compress to under 100 k for the dial up folks. Thanks Harold.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Good blacksmith form

Check this form out. All you ever wanted to know about anvils. Lots of good info on forging.

http://www.anvilfire.com/
Old 09-23-2007, 10:57 AM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

You got a great buy! $255 for a 400# anvil is a steal. And the chance of both you & the seller living in the same state is small ... you must be living right

The threads I've seen suggest that you'll want a large tree stump/large diameter log section for a mounting base. You might also consider using a 55 gallon drum with the upper 2/3 removed. That leaves the bottom 1/3 of the barrel to fill with quickrete ... mine took seven of the 80# bags ... makes a substantial base.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
.Please dopictures as attachment and compress to under 100 k for the dial up folks. Thanks Harold.
madbhodi, here is what Midmo is referring to - regarding attachments.

We try to make the pages easy to load for our slow connection folks; this means we do not use off-site hosting to embed pictures. We also compress them to as small a file size as we practically can. So please compress your pictures and use the Manage Attachments button to load your pictures to our server. That way, you don't have to worry about ruining your threads when you shift your photos around on your hosting space. And neither do we.
You can also attach up to 5 pictures per post.

When a dial-upper opens a thread, he has to wait until the pictures load if they are imbedded. If they are attached, he still has to wait for them to load if he clicks on the attachments. If they load slowly, he may opt to skip them. File compression allows you to display the same size photo with much smaller file sizes & more people will view them. Most forums ignore the dialuppers; we still have quite a few so we try to take care of them. And of course, smaller files also means a lesser load on our server.

During our first year, we used a lot of off site hosting; a few months later we were getting complaints and we also had a lot of ruined threads with missing pictures because the "authors" had removed the files from their hosting services, etc. So try to preserve the integrity of the archives and take care of the country folk at the same time. I realize this may be contrary to many other sites; they encourage you to host your own pictures to keep them from having to. They are also viewing their forums as a "today" kind of bulleting board; we want people to be able to read 3 year old threads - complete with pictures. Just a difference in philosophy.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 09-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Sorry about the pictures thing . The ad said 400lbs but i'm thinking he was including the base in that calculation,it's welded on and made of 1/2 in. plate.So far opinions on Blade Forum are that it is a Peter Wright 210 lb anvil in excellent condition.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbodhi View Post
So far opinions on Blade Forum are that it is a Peter Wright 210 lb anvil in excellent condition.
Ah well, in that case, you done real good. From what I hear, that is the most prized make of anvil you can find.
All you friends will get a case of Peter Wright envy.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 09-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Lord of the Minions

Even if the total weight of the stand was considered in his E-bay ad, any anvil of over 150 lbs is a good find for that money spent. It does look to be a non-abused(the welds/cuts can be fixed easily) hunk of steel worthy of removing the paint and keeping in the open for use.

Good find.
LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!