Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Curmudgeon

Default Post vise, Smith's vise, Peg-legged vise

Call it what you may, all that talk about them a couple of weeks ago finally motivated me to finish cleaning up & installing the one I found a year or two ago. I needed some kind of better outdoor grinding vise for the beat up old welding table I found at ReTool last year.

1. This is how the vise looked when I brought it home. It was seized, of course but not too badly. A few shots of PBBlaster & some patience got it apart. $35 in a yard sale. Kind of funny but the only markings on the castings is "35" right on the front of it.

2. This is the old table. It is a mess but still, it's stout, it's heavy and it was $60, delivered. That's half inch plate on the top & for my purposes it has been just fine. I just won't be taking it to the fair.

3. It came with it's own spittoon.

4. And it had this really sad little Columbian vise welded to it that I just haven't had the heart to hack off of there. It'll have to go someday because it's in the way & completely useless.

5. So I ground the rust of off a particular spot on one leg and drilled some holes in the top to prepare it to host it's new ummmm, appendage.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Curmudgeon

I believe it was TommyA who was having some trouble getting his apart and wondering what the various pieces were so while I was putting this one back together I took a few pictures of it's parts.

1. Here is the key on the nut and the cone washer that slips on it to allow it to pivot slightly in the main casting.

2. The keyway for the nut. Not very clean and the fit is a little bit sloppy until you realize that the nut is supposed to wobble around a bit as the jaws open & close.

3. Most of these I have seen are held to the table by U-bolts or some variation of them but this one still has it's original U-shaped shackle and wedges. I was glad for that.

4. Here is how they fit together. Once you drive in the tapered wedge, it all locks in place very firmly.

5. Somebody mentioned a U-shaped spring on his vise. Here is the slipper spring that this one uses. Very stout & it is held in place by the shackle & wedges.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Curmudgeon

1. Well, it needed a shoe for that pegleg so I put it all back together with plenty of grease packed inside the nut and elbow & bolted it to the table so I could use it to grind the cuts in some angle iron.

2. The finished shoe. That's just what I named it, I have no idea what real blacksmiths call them.

3. And welded the shoe to the table leg. This thing has a very solid feel to it. The vise doesn't have the death grip that my Parker or the old Wilton does but for this situation it is plenty good.

4 & 5. A couple of shots after another coat of Permatex. It looks really nice out there and the old table is finally as useful as I intended it to be. Little things like the WhiteTrash project had kept me focused otherwhere so I am glad this is accomplished now. A few more coats of rust treatment over the summer should turn it nice & black like a good old vise should be.

By the way, markttu & I used it along with a torch & 24" Stillson wrench to straighten a bent tow bar for another guy a few days ago. It would have been a good bit more difficult without this vise.

Just Keep Walking

Old 07-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Director of Product Reviews

Thanks for thoughtfulness cutter. I still haven't gotten it apart for further eval. I removed the bolt from the lower pivot point only to find the jaws are not apart enough for me to rotate one side around so that I may poke the end out the cup for a better look. I tried ,as Defective recommended,to use a pipe wrench and hold the end cup still while turning the handle but this didn't work. I still am unable to determine what actually causes the vise to screw together. If the cup is keyed to the shaft and is not suppose to turn seperate, what actually threads the rod in?
I perhaps can get better pictures this afternoon when I get to the shop.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Director of Product Reviews

Here is a thought

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Curmudgeon

Well Tommy, your threads are obviously rusted together. Sounds like you either need to soak it in a bucket or diesel for year or so or you could de-rustify it with electrolysis - or both. I recommend the later first.

1. Here's a picture of what you can expect. If you really don't have anything better to do some weekend, you can read all about my adventures with electrolysis in Cutter's Vise. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyA
If the cup is keyed to the shaft and is not suppose to turn seperate, what actually threads the rod in?
I took my leg vise apart & got you some more pictures.

2. Nut and screw separated. What I suppose you are calling the "cup" is actually the nut. The entire sleeve or "cup" is threaded internally to mate with the screw. See next picture.

3. Internal threads.

4. Screw started.

So naturally, they thread together when you spin the handle clocker-wise just like any other vise and they should unscrew when you turn it contrary-clocker-wise. I learned those technical terms from Festus.

5. While I was taking more pictures I did a little composite showing the way the cone or cup washers cradle both the nut and the screw. You can see I need to be a little more timely with my Permatex applications.

Just Keep Walking

Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Wyoming

Not bad Cutter. Here's one with a $35 table and a $10 or $20 vise. Actually the table was $35, but that was just the top and four legs.

Edit: Well maybe not today. When I tried to upload the file size warning came up and told me the file was too large even though when I go into Irfanview it tells me the file size is well within parameters. You got lucky today Cutter.
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...2&d=1183166822

Re-edit: I just knew there was a work-around!

Last edited by Wyoming; 07-19-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyA View Post
Here is a thought
Yes, but in my picture you have posted, the nut has slipped back out of the key way.

1. Here again is a picture of the keyway in the bottom of the main casting.

2. and this key, molded into the nut slides in there. That keeps the nut from turning with the screw.

Just Keep Walking

Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post

Re-edit: I just knew there was a work-around!
Ah, good - and kindly disregard the pmail.

Just Keep Walking

Old 07-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Wyoming

Cutter,
I went with a receiver hitch top mount on the post vise and a removable bottom bracket..well, except for the square tube part. The #20 Roper Whitney punch fits nicely in the same receiver.