Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Ford's solution for pulling the heads? Lift the cab off. It only take a couple of hours????
You can lift the cab in about 45 minutes. You can do
The heads without pulling the cab but if you have a lift why?
Old 08-20-2019, 12:52 AM
Elite Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
You can lift the cab in about 45 minutes. You can do
The heads without pulling the cab but if you have a lift why?
Not knockin' you, Neal. For the professional mechanic with all of the requisite tools (lifts, etc), I agree. However, I do not have all of the requisite tools and shop space, and just shake my head when Detroit (or whoever) comes up with solutions like this to problems that did not exist until they engineered the problem in, such as moving the bottom of the windshield forward and shortening the hood and fenders. I guess I'm just an old fart that is slow to adjust.

With that said, the 6.Slow is not so slow any more. The sucker runs like a factory 6.0 should. One of the intercooler hoses blew off on my trial run, but I had a few tools and was able to reconnect the hose and continue on.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:13 AM
SFT Historian

Over the years I seen the use of Silicone rubber to make it harder to repair electronics... just poured all over circuit boards and as if that was not enough then they switched to epoxy.

I guess the next step is for the auto makers, fill the engine compartment with epoxy and be done with it.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Not knockin' you, Neal. For the professional mechanic with all of the requisite tools (lifts, etc), I agree. However, I do not have all of the requisite tools and shop space, and just shake my head when Detroit (or whoever) comes up with solutions like this to problems that did not exist until they engineered the problem in, such as moving the bottom of the windshield forward and shortening the hood and fenders. I guess I'm just an old fart that is slow to adjust.

With that said, the 6.Slow is not so slow any more. The sucker runs like a factory 6.0 should. One of the intercooler hoses blew off on my trial run, but I had a few tools and was able to reconnect the hose and continue on.
If I had a lift, I'd have had my cab off several times. When you don't have one available it's no fun working on one of these things.

I do still like how the 6.0 drives though, when they are running right I think they're one of the better engines out there (problem being many of them don't like to run right very often)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:23 AM

Default superduty 6.slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
If I had a lift, I'd have had my cab off several times. When you don't have one available it's no fun working on one of these things.
forklift with long forks,and 4 straps with hooks works pretty good in a pinch
Strands Gear Drive Drill Press, RongFu 3hp Gear Drive Drill
Tannewitz 36" Contour Saw, 16" 5hp Chop Saw
Rockwell 6x48 belt grinder,Grizzly 6x48 belt sander
48" Chicago Box Pan Brake, Hydraulic compact Press Brake
3 forklifts,4 generators,2 IR Air compressors
Not Enough Room
Old 09-01-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Howdy neighbor, I'll be curious to see how long the turbo holds up for you. My BIL had the same issue while he was on the road, the Ford dealer in Texas pulled his, cleaned it and put it back. Less than 1,000 miles later same problem. He brought it to Jim Click and they put in a new turbo. Been 3 years now no problems. Lucky for him he had an extended warranty plan on his 2006, which is a good thing to have on a 6oh.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Howdy neighbor, I'll be curious to see how long the turbo holds up for you. My BIL had the same issue while he was on the road, the Ford dealer in Texas pulled his, cleaned it and put it back. Less than 1,000 miles later same problem. He brought it to Jim Click and they put in a new turbo. Been 3 years now no problems. Lucky for him he had an extended warranty plan on his 2006, which is a good thing to have on a 6oh.
bigb,

If the turbo starts giving me problems, I'll update this thread. I ran up to Ouray/Ridgway, CO for a week to help a buddy out and had no problems. So far, so good.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
bigb,

If the turbo starts giving me problems, I'll update this thread. I ran up to Ouray/Ridgway, CO for a week to help a buddy out and had no problems. So far, so good.
Sounds good, I really love the 6.0 trucks when they are running right, if I ever need to replace my 2002 7.3 I will probably go with a newer 6.0 truck and bullet proof the engine. My buddy bought a 6.0 F550 flatbed from the mines with 60K on it but I just found out he was in a head on collision last Saturday on his way back from Bisbee and totaled it. He got 30 stitches in his head but unfortunately the guy in the other vehicle died, the 550 saved my buddy's life. A drunk driver 2 cars ahead of my buddy crossed the center line and hit an oncoming car sending it into a spin causing it to hit the F-550 head on at 70.

Last edited by bigb; 09-06-2019 at 06:19 PM.