Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
Apparently Mc Master doesn't want to sell to me unless I give them my full pedigree, get on their spam mailing list and promise my first born.
I agree with the others in that you are probably talking about Grainger. Yes, they needed Sales Tax ID and FEIN to create an account. They didn't ask about firstborn but I offered up my wife to seal the deal. (they said no...)

I order 2 items (10ea) from them and that is about it. Next day via ground from Jax.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Da Chief

Welp, just to bring this to a conclusion, I was talking about Mc Master - Carr. I had commercial accounts with 3 of the 4 big supply houses, for years. When they got stupid about filling my inbox, my personal account, and would not stop., I started closing the accounts.

The window outfit I was working for, around that time, had a buyer, and all purchases had to go thru him. (yep, you guessed it, he was a world class beancounter and wouldn't buy any thing with out a PO, job number, machine or area of final use...( When the line supervisors started blaming maint for down time, we were in the breach. We had to wait till the next shift for a bolt, and then get chewed for not using the system. You all know who won that battle. Did I mention the buyer was the coo's BIL?)

Anyway, MC emailed me back with a phone number to direct order, first go $9.17 for one tube. $8.99 to ship it to me, no deals, no alternative shipping. I called back a couple of hours later, to add several items to my order, this time the shipping was $6.00 (it's after 7 PM, next day,I still don't have it)

The prices quoted were OK for the small quantities of fasteners I needed, So I didn't bitch, I just paid.

It's a good thing I'm not trying to make a living anymore. between substandard parts and tool quality from offshore suppliers, gonzo shipping rates, and inflation, I'm truly surprised that anybody can make a living.

Anyway, everybody come down off the governor, I have.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

I have never gotten an email from MMC,ever.
Had an account for 30 years now.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Gold Star Dad

When I was mentoring the high school robotics team, I begged for an MMC printed catalog. No go. They wouldn't even sell one. So we bought parts from MSC. They were happy to ship us a half dozen of their huge catalog books each year.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Not busting on you Dick.

It's a Lithium complex grease. I have to call bullshit on a 540°F dropping point.

I have always considered most of Lucas' product to be closely related to snake oil...
Maybe they are related to the Lucas electrics people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucas Smoke.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	151564  
Old 07-20-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I have always considered most of Lucas' product to be closely related to snake oil...
So have I. Many years ago my ex bought some kind of Lucas oil treatment and added it to her car engine crankcase. Shortly thereafter her car started burning and leaking oil regularly to the point of it finally locking up the engine most likely because of oil starvation to the bearings and rotating assemblies inside of it. Just my guess because when opening the oil filler cap, it smelled like the engine had been in a fire and burnned up. The only aditives I add in my vehicles is carb and fuel injecter cleaners and then I some times am concerned about them.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E