Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 05-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Gadget Girl

Default 100lbs Vanadium anvil

So, today added another little beauty to the fold..

Picked this one up in ME.. 3.5hrs each way..

Anyhow this is the type of anvil which would be perfect for a "Blacksmith School" anvil..

Not totally beat up, nicely used face with a nicely used horn.. You don't mind it getting a few more dings but it is also good enough to do quality work on..

I'll be making a hardie for it sometime this week.. I don't want to many distrations since I'll be working on the trailer..

Here it is with the rust removed form the top and horn. Original paint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160516_164749.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	131751   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160516_174024.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	131752   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160516_175014.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	131754   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160516_175002.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	131755  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Gold Star Dad

Ah, Jen. Makes me think of the old Thai blacksmith I worked with who used maybe a 12 pound sledgehammer head as an anvil. Sunk into a hardwood tree trunk that probably weighed several tons. He had no problem banging out machete with blades around 12-14", despite his 70 years or so. He used a homemade draw knife to mill off forge scale and shape the edge. Then a wee bit of file work, followed by quench and temper. Sharpening was done on a rock, no grinder.

To each his own.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Karma Avenger

Quote:
Ah, Jen. Makes me think of the old Thai blacksmith I worked with who used maybe a 12 pound sledgehammer head as an anvil. Sunk into a hardwood tree trunk that probably weighed several tons. He had no problem banging out machete with blades around 12-14", despite his 70 years or so. He used a homemade draw knife to mill off forge scale and shape the edge. Then a wee bit of file work, followed by quench and temper. Sharpening was done on a rock, no grinder.

To each his own.
Sometimes you just gotta make do with what you got to work with. Just reading Jen's posts makes me tired thinking about all that driving. Not to mention loading and unloading the swag
Old 05-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDoctor View Post
Sometimes you just gotta make do with what you got to work with. Just reading Jen's posts makes me tired thinking about all that driving. Not to mention loading and unloading the swag
I drive for a living.. After a certain point it all becomes the same..

I love driving through areas of the country like PA, and even parts of NY, CT, VT, NH, VA etc, etc..

There is some really nice scenic areas.. ME on the other hand is not scenic unless on RT1 or once you get up to the mountains..

I've got a very reliable car, GPS on my Galaxy Note 4(WAZE), and a new fangled radar detector..

I'm not a tinkerer when it comes to driving.. I stop for gas, pee and poop..

I don't even listen to a radio.. Just me, the car and the sound of miles rolling by..

Wednesday is a 212mile day going to North west CT.. 2 Horse trims and back in the car for the ride home..

For some reason this is just what I am supposed to be doing right now.. It just feels right..

by the way Loading and unloading is the easy part..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post

To each his own.
Pops.. If all was was making was machetes and had a helper than a sledge head stuck in a big stump would be perfect.. For knife making as well as sword making or even armor..

Way back I used something quite like that for forge work but the reason and anvil took the shape it did was because someone found having the other surfaces made things easier..

We as humans do try to evolve the things we use for tools and the blacksmith pattern anvil evolved from a stone, then a bronze anvil, then a square anvil, then a hornless anvil with a waist, then a colonial anvil with a very stout bodiy with little horn and then into what we consider the London pattern anvil..

What till you see the foot hammer I'll be making to mount on the anvil stand for the HB368..

anyhow, different equipment makes doing different jobs easier.. In the USA there were many patterns of anvils.. London, plow makers, farriers, sawyers, chain makers, helve hammers, double horn.. Maybe part of it comes down to the level of wages as well..

Way back I could never afford a 368lbs anvil..

It's all good.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 05-16-2016, 07:08 PM
Gadget Girl

Besides that.. Variety is the spice of life..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 PM

Look Jen actually used the trunk of her car LOL LOL .
Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
For some reason this is just what I am supposed to be doing right now.. It just feels right..
Jen, that is a very intelligent observation. Many people feel guilt if they are going out of the groove.

I am also observing how little people travel in the US. Most the states are small and a days drive takes you to a whole different culture. I think nothing of a 600 to 1000 mile drive. I may be lucky, I guess, but I have seen our country end to end, and the roads are better in the US.
Even the customer bringing me a trailer to fix is traveling 180 miles.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Jen, that is a very intelligent observation. Many people feel guilt if they are going out of the groove.

I am also observing how little people travel in the US. Most the states are small and a days drive takes you to a whole different culture. I think nothing of a 600 to 1000 mile drive. I may be lucky, I guess, but I have seen our country end to end, and the roads are better in the US.
Even the customer bringing me a trailer to fix is traveling 180 miles.
Gerry, Susans Mom who is 93 now has always lived within 2 miles of where she was born.. Mind you she is a city girl.. (Worcester is a large city and is practically connected to Auburn which is a smaller city but has an indoor shopping mall)

Being born and raised on the carnival you would think I would have gypsy blood in my veins but it's only been in more recent times that I don't mind traveling as far..

I have always been curious about the human condition in reference to historical how's.. I love going somewhere and seeing water power mills or an old water turbine staging area.. Or an old smoke stack..

Now my grandmother was raised on a farm, but all the Men in the family once to a certain age looked for work off the farm (foundry and wool dyeing) with working back on the farm when time allowed..

Factories promised a better standard of living or more money in the pocket vs just enough to pay bills and have food on the plate..

When I travel now I love seeing all the varied terrain and varied communities.. Traveling in PA(which I love) or NY you go through a town (small villiage size) and there is a train depot, factory buildings and really just a nice small town.. But there is no industry left.. The town be it 100 years ago or 50 years ago must have had a booming economy..

I love it when Pops mentions the old blacksmith.. I'm sure someone has taken up his spot.. Or maybe he's still at it..

Anyhow, it just gets me wondering about what they made, how many trains would come to pickup or deliver goods, the horses and buggies the people working and celebrating.. Daily life really..

I love to see what other people do..

The other funny thing is.. I don't have any interest in battle scenarios from any wars or personal details about key players.. I'm more interested in the shop keeper or street sweeper..

I have a few friends who are into battle histories and will argue with each other about a new tidbit of information they just read about so and so and if he just did this or that..

Off to work.. Have a great day everybody..

Oh, PA is probably my favorite state to visit at the moment..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"