Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Default Anvil question

Hi all,
I don't post much, but I'm here everyday reading the info.
I have an anvil question. I was out at a garage sale this morning and bought a couple things. First purchase was a Milwaukee Hole Hawg drill. The guy said it didn't work, but thought it was a bad switch. It looked like the strain relief was worn and the cord might have gone bad. Anyway, I got the guy down to $5.00, so I bought it. Got home and checked it out and turned out to be a bad cord. Reconnected the power cord and it worked fine. Next I opened up the gear case and put some fresh grease into it and it's working fine. I've wanted one for awhile for mixing stuff.

Ok, the real reason for this post is about the anvil I also bought.

I know there are a few anvil experts here, and I was hoping for some help. The top seems pretty beat up. Do I leave it? or fix it? Can someone tell me how I might be able to tell if this is a good anvil or not?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hole hawg.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	79009   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2425anvil1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	79010   Click image for larger version

Name:	anvil2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	79011  
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Standard of Excellence

You got a good deal on the Hog. The anvil appears to be a cast steel anvil. A bunch of which came out of Russia quite some time ago. They are a little light in the loafers for heavy smithing, but I have work professionally on one for a while. They do not have quite as much rebound as the tool steel topped ones, but for most work they will suit quite nicely. Get yourself a forge and you are in business. Remember that anvils are only suited for hitting hot metal.