Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 02-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Default English Wheel

Has anyone gotten one of the english wheels Harbor Freight is sell on their website? Just wondering about the quality of it.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Curmudgeon

Nope, but please read this - you might find that someone living close to you has one:

Quote:
We try to maintain a little custom around here of posting our locations in our user profiles; that way it appears in every post or reply that you make. If you look at the upper right hand corner of this window you will see that I am located in Lubbock,Texas. We have found this to be especially helpful because so many of our threads wind up in discussions of where to find parts, materials or some activity where local conditions are a factor. You will probably be surprised how often this is true here. Besides that, we're just naturally nosy & like to know where everyone's coming from. Posting it one time in a reply is not the same as doing it automatically in every reply.

If you would please, look in the upper left area of this page at the blue banner with white lettering, click on "User CP" to open your control panel; click "edit profile"and scroll down to the location line & fill it in. City & state / province is sufficient. Then be sure to scroll on down to the bottom of the page & click "save changes" & you're done. We will appreciate it.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 02-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Below Wholesale

I think there was a recent post about this. I believe it to be a new to HF product
Old 02-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Lord of the Minions

It's going to be extremely light in capacity and thickness of material ability. I'm sure with some beefing up and strengthening of the frame, you should be able to work heavier.

You get what you pay for. I've seriously considered picking up some of the wheel sets they offer for the one I want to make for my nephew. I may buy the whole thing, add steroids and then give it/that to him. lol

G'gadgets, please note that I'm not saying it's a waste of money or time. Far from it. I have just recently purchased the HF bead roller full well knowing that I will have to add iron and time to it's original design to make it usuable in a real world light. Meaning, with a little TLC, sweat and a few dollars in steel, you should end up with a good but cheap "Wheel".

I do plan on either getting the wheel sets or the whole thing shortly. If you get yours first, let us know what you think and post some pics.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 02-03-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:16 PM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

Is THIS what you are talking about? If so it would be very easy to use just the stand and dies and build your own top section. On the other hand you could just buy the LOWER and UPPER dies and build your own from scratch

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Lord of the Minions

I need to quit getting too involved with other peoples threads.

I just ordered a set of the upper and lower roller dies from HF.

The shipping is worth not having to get dressed and drive 12 blocks.

The HF frame would need to be strengthened considerably to be of much use on panel making, but it is a decent way to start.

The engine frame I have at the farm has 3" square hvy wall tubing and will be a good start for the steel.

I'll post back pics and my thoughts of and on the wheels when they arrive.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

I saw a nice long thread about this product the other afternoon. I've had a beer or two since then and can't quite recall where I was at the time though. I was thinking no one had issues with the stand as much as they did the die sets. Something about worrying about them being out of true...but no one had used it yet enough to know.

I'll leave myself this note to remind me to go look for it where I thought I saw it and maybe y'all can get a better idea of what I don't know about.

EDIT: I can't find it. I'm gonna drink another beer and see if that refreshes my memory

Last edited by dubby; 02-03-2007 at 07:18 PM.