Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-03-2020, 09:32 PM
Auction Addict

Another thousand and you will be finished.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Got it sort of situated on the trailer. After some measurements, the lower frame is a little tweaked. The front frame rails dip downward a little, not going to worry about that. The rear frame, the two rails dont lie in the same plane, so i will slice the one side and reweld and make it match the other.

I am going to have it set with around 16" of clearance under belly. This will make the lower link arms level, which should ride a little better. However its a good step into the cab. So i will have to fab some steps on the outside.

The AT tires are a craigslist find, they are some new recaps but the tire bead was damaged on one, and the seller said the tire shop refused to mount it. Got all four for 160. Could have bought a replacement tire, but just going to use on this. Should be good for lawn use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mutvee4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	155908   Click image for larger version

Name:	mutvee5.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	155909  
Old 05-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Another thousand and you will be finished.
Haha, true. Probably will be another 1k.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:53 AM
Director of Languages

Love it!!!
Old 05-05-2020, 07:53 AM
Elite Member

I knew I shouldn’t have looked into this thread. Now I want to build one as I have most of the parts laying around too.

If it were me I would make the dumping mechanism separate from the box and make the box easy to remove with few screws not bolts (there is a difference between the two). This way you could “ change tooling” and add a flat bed, timber rack or a crane/gin pole later as the need arises. You have the load capacity in those axles and tires you might as well take advantage of them. Using a winch and mast as a dumping mechanism not only is much easier to figure out it also allows a variety of loading options.

Have you looked at my build thread? You might get an idea or two. https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=50209[/QUOTE]

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.

Last edited by threepiece; 05-05-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:38 PM

Threw some rusty metal primer on to cut down on the flash rust since its sitting outside.

Cut the upper air bag plates. Just with grinder and hand drill. Edit: btw that hole in that top plate isnt off center, i must have bumped it before I took that photo.

Later dug out my plasma cutter. Its a old Pakmaster 100XL. Bought it last spring, demoed it when i bought it but haven't used it since. Oh man, its the bees knees. Did some test cuts to notch the lower air bag mounts on the axle. Cuts were freehand.

Still have more notching to do and the lower air bag plates as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mutvee6.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	155919   Click image for larger version

Name:	mutvee7.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	155920   Click image for larger version

Name:	mutvee8.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	155921  

Last edited by unfinished; 05-05-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I knew I shouldn’t have looked into this thread. Now I want to build one as I have most of the parts laying around too.

If it were me I would make the dumping mechanism separate from the box and make the box easy to remove with few screws not bolts (there is a difference between the two). This way you could “ change tooling” and add a flat bed, timber rack or a crane/gin pole later as the need arises. You have the load capacity in those axles and tires you might as well take advantage of them. Using a winch and mast as a dumping mechanism not only is much easier to figure out it also allows a variety of loading options.

Have you looked at my build thread? You might get an idea or two. https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=50209
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you should build one.

I will keep that in mind. Main goal is to get the thing running and driving. The dump bed and other some other things I have planned will come last. I am little limited by the layout i chose, 5'x4' bed is about the biggest size bed I want to fit and still keep it reasonably compact. Its going to be limited by volume rather than weight. If i need more, I would use a trailer. I admit, a gin pole would be neat. Another thing was having a pair of seats for more passengers. If i did the interchangeable beds, that would be an option.

Perused your build thread, pretty slick. I see the dual purpose, trailer or quick attach for your dump bed. I may have missed it, but what is the rough dimensions of the bed?

Btw, can you explain the diff between a screw and bolt? Thought screws were coarse, like sheet metal screws, etc. Do you mean bolts with captive nuts?

Last edited by unfinished; 05-05-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Add question
Old 05-06-2020, 07:04 AM
Elite Member

I see the dual purpose, trailer or quick attach for your dump bed. I may have missed it, but what is the rough dimensions of the bed?

Btw, can you explain the diff between a screw and bolt? Thought screws were coarse, like sheet metal screws, etc. Do you mean bolts with captive nuts?[/QUOTE]

The box is 4’x6’ and I think it is a bit over 24” high. As I recall it can hold about 2.5 heaping yards.

A screw is a device that is threaded into the structure that is being secured. This can be a threaded hole or a non threading hole in which a “tapping” screw would be inserted. When a screw (typically with a machine thread) is used with a nut, it is called a bolt.

I recommend screws whenever there is likelihood that the fastener will be removed and access is limited or difficult such as under a dump box. This way there is no need to hold a spinning nut with a second hand and tool.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 AM
Elite Member

Yeah, you should build one.

I admit, a gin pole would be neat. [/QUOTE]

Since I have two tractors with loaders and the dump box contraption a vehicle such as this would be a toy; I don’t have time for toys at this point. I shall carry on vicariously through you on this one.

Remember with a gin pole attached you will benefit greatly from weight on the front. You might consider providing structure to attach it to while you are designing and building. I have two 1” diameter rods protruding from a trailer hitch three point attachment. I use standard size (as opposed to Olympic size) barbell weights that I buy from the scrap yard as weight that I slide on these rods as needed. The rods can be made removable so they don’t interfere when not in use.

Last edited by threepiece; 05-06-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: More content
Old 05-17-2020, 07:11 PM

Plugging away at it. Got lower link mounts, and lower bag/upper link mounts welded on both axles. Went back and forth on a couple ways to do this, just tried to keep it simple. Used the existing cast in leaf spring perch to align everything, When I get the upper links in, I will adjust the axle so that the perch is level to the ground, this way, the kingpins are oriented similar to factory alignment.

I will add a brace that will function as the lower shock mount between the lower link bracket and the upright for the upper link mounts. Shocks are from a CJ7 that I had laying around. Picture shows roughly where they will go.

The tractor links are pretty sloppy. A lot of the play is in the hole ID of heim joint or maybe the pin is undersized, followed by slop in the threads, followed by the hole ID in the link mounts. Enough slop to roll an axle forward and back by about maybe a 1/4 inch. Hopefully when the suspension more complete and with weight on the links, this will be less of an issue. Also probably will weld up the link body to the heim so they will be fixed length.

Next is the upper link mounts, both the frame side and axle side. And get the upper air bag mounts installed on the frame. Just guessing my way through the link geometry, if something is not going to work let me know. Otherwise it is close to being a roller.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	156161   Click image for larger version

Name:	image015.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	156162   Click image for larger version

Name:	image022.jpg
Views:	69