Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
Elite Member

Slather it with slickum as you push it in.
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Thanks, Rusty.
I am going to use 1" black plastic utility grade pipe. Everyone thinks the problem is getting the string through the pipe. Not. I put my first conductor in a 100 ft pipe in 1974.
My lack of experience is with fiber optic cable. This is small diameter and as I showed in the picture, armored but delicate. If I fuck it up, it is only 150 buck and I get another roll, but I like to do it right if I can.
This a.m. I have been toying with the idea of running a CAT5 along with it and taping it to the CAT cable. If I have not scrapped the roll, I have/had a long enough length to reach. At that length it is useless as comm cable, but could function as intercom or phone cable as well as support for the fiber optic.

I have the transceivers and will be able to test it immediately after insertion.
Using the shop vac method should put very little strain on the cable.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Using the shop vac method should put very little strain on the cable.
Normally the shop vac just pulls in a string--you use that to pull in a heavier cord for pulling in the actual cable...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Normally the shop vac just pulls in a string--you use that to pull in a heavier cord for pulling in the actual cable...
As light as I expect the cable is, I would just try to pull it through with a plastic bag tied to the cable.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old Today, 09:36 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Yesterday we went to town and went to the county to get the electrical permit and request the inspection for this Thursday.
While there the minions asked about plumbing and gas. I told them the gas was hooked up and running since March. They were concerned for my safety, and said I need a permit. "And this will make me safer?" She asked if that was sarcasm, and then plumbing permits could not be decided on, so they asked for the inspector to come to the desk.
I started out asking if he was going to rob my wallet, and he offered me his instead. Then we joked and poked each other and he got a feel for me. He said he felt good that I knew what I was doing, but he had to inspect the sewer line anyway. We started talking about some of the details, and he sort of looked at me and said lets talk about that when I get there, and cut a glance at the desk women. He wanted to say we are fine, but did not want them to hear what he said.

This is my kind of guy, Using common sense to bend the rules with if needed. He said as long as no kids drown in the sewer he is fine with that.
Sort of like the electrical inspector who showed up with a white cane.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old Today, 09:39 AM
Roving Reporter

If you need support for the FO, and do not have the cat5 cable for support, plastic baler twine is cheap, strong, and has very little stretch. You can tape the FO to the twine, and then pull it in together.

In most farm neighbourhoods, guys will give you a few hundred feet of twine just to be rid of it.
Old Today, 09:42 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
If you need support for the FO, and do not have the cat5 cable for support, plastic baler twine is cheap, strong, and has very little stretch. You can tape the FO to the twine, and then pull it in together.

In most farm neighbourhoods, guys will give you a few hundred feet of twine just to be rid of it.
Good idea, Cam. Is it raining down your way too?

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old Today, 12:29 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Good idea, Cam. Is it raining down your way too?
Yes, it rained most of the night, although it has let up now at 11, and the sun is struggling to peek through the clouds.