Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-17-2021, 09:18 AM
I can dig it

Default Lincoln PM 255 tuneup

So my wirefeed has been sitting, hasn’t made a spark in at least three years, since before it did the move.

When it was there, I didn’t have a dry, or heated spot for it. So each time I loaded it with wire and used it, it would be good for the first while, then the wire would rust up and I’d struggle with feeding problems. Ended up tossing a couple rolls of wire in the scrap bin.

For the move I ended up taking the spoolgun, ground lead and the whip all off and packing them seperately.

Yesterday I took the liner out of the whip, today’s plan is to hit a welding supply and get a new liner, wire, tips etc. I never had any spare nozzles, so will grab a couple to have on hand.

Also checked inventory, I do have two, ten pound rolls, one is .023 solid wire, with a bit of rust on the outer layer, so not sure if I will even bother with it or just toss it, the other is a nice shiny roll of .035 fluxcore. I think they are both likely from way back when I had a little 120v wire feed welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Made From Scratch

I hadn't heard of a 255 so I looked it up. Looks like a nice machine, just a bit bigger than my PM216. Kind of funny that yours has more amps available but the chart tops out at 5/16" and mine has settings up to 1/2" listed.
I wish I'd have spent the money for a 256 with the dual gun set up now that I have gotten into aluminum but overall I'm happy with the 216.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:47 PM
I can dig it

There was another model before the 255, and after ten years or so the 256 is the updated version of the 255. I also have the spool gun, and even at one pound rolls of aluminum, I’ve put way more wire through it than the regular whip. Have a bunch of projects in mind for this next while, and hoping to get some use out of it!

Old 02-17-2021, 02:02 PM
Made From Scratch

I got the cheap 100SG spoolgun with my 216 but its a bit of a toy. It actually runs better on my MP210 as the run in seems a little bit softer and you don't ruin as many tips on starts and stops. It takes the little 11 series tweco tips though like the little 110V machines run.
I really just need to pony up for a better spoolgun but its hard to drop the thousand dollars when what I have sort of works, most of the time, if you swear at it
Old 02-17-2021, 02:42 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
...There was another model before the 255...
We have a Wirematic 255 which we bought in '98. Still a solid little welder...

Quote:
...I also have the spool gun...
The Lincoln spoolgun that came with the WM255 absolutely sucked--never worked worth a shit. We later bought a Millermatic 251 and stuck a 30A spoolgun on it; that combo worked way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
...I really just need to pony up for a better spoolgun but its hard to drop the thousand dollars when what I have sort of works...
Have you tried finding a used one? They seem to pop up fairly regularly around here...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-17-2021, 02:49 PM
Post Fiend

I had a PM255 for a brief period of time. Picked it up mainly for resale and the 300sf tank it came with. I'm a blue boy at heart...

I had a Prince spoolgun that worked OK with the Lincoln, bought prior and separately. I still prefer the MM252 w/30A spooler. 30A is a heavy sumbitch but gets the job done with no complaints... (200A, 100% duty cycle)

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-17-2021, 06:05 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
We have a Wirematic 255 which we bought in '98. Still a solid little welder...

The Lincoln spoolgun that came with the WM255 absolutely sucked--never worked worth a shit. We later bought a Millermatic 251 and stuck a 30A spoolgun on it; that combo worked way better.

Have you tried finding a used one? They seem to pop up fairly regularly around here...
Haven't looked too hard. My LWS doesn't seem to do any trading or used sales and my experience with craigslist and things like that is that I am not enough of a people person to bother
Old 02-18-2021, 11:19 AM
I can dig it

It seems like the Lincoln part numbers for a lot of the Magnum 250L gun/whip are becoming discontinued. We found another set of part numbers that worked, but I think I’m going to do a bunch of online searching and do a little stocking up on some of the more obscure stuff. Liners are my main concern, the diffuser, tips and nozzles seem to be more available through aftermarket sources.

Parts I need to get me up and going will be in tomorrow, so maybe over the weekend I’ll get it all hooked back up and test it out.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:29 AM
I can dig it

The spoolgun I have is the Magnum 250LX, can’t recall what I paid for it when I got it with the welder, though I know it was pricey. Been well worth it though, I’ve done a fair amount of aluminum with it and not a single hiccup that I recall. Well, other than a few tips and operator issues.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:20 AM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
The spoolgun I have is the Magnum 250LX, can’t recall what I paid for it when I got it with the welder, though I know it was pricey. Been well worth it though, I’ve done a fair amount of aluminum with it and not a single hiccup that I recall. Well, other than a few tips and operator issues.

My gun is also a magnum 250L. I had to switch the style of nozzle and diffuser last time
(went from a threaded nozzle to a slip on with a friction ring, all tweco parts) I needed one but otherwise I haven't had any trouble getting parts. I am due for a liner though. My last liner came off of amazon cause the LWS didn't have one in stock. Have to check into that again.

I looked up that magnum 250LX and it ranges all over but you can get one on amazon for $3400 (with free shipping!). Looks like most options run between $1200-$2000 for spool guns. The prince guns aren't any cheaper. It sort of appears like Lincoln bought Prince and made that their mid level gun, judging by appearances, and the fact that lincoln has manuals for Prince listed under "lincoln assets"