Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Gadget Girl

Dubby, that is a great story.. Stories like this I feel need to be shared with family, kinda like that road trip on sundays.. But today there are fewer people interested in working with their hands for a living.. These stories certainly would be fun for me if I had kids to share with..

I'm not saying there aren't new people coming into the trades, but it's just far fewer..

The hammer your dad bought you must have been made by the only person who cared about what they were making.. LOL.. Sometimes one just ends up with product of the day, month, year..

That is great.. Do you have a picture of the hammer?

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:36 AM
Elite Member

Hammers are fickle things.

I was working with someone once who used the same hammer I did. Same brand, model, weight....everything.

I spent a week looking at it wondering why it wasn't 'right'. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it was somehow wrong.

It finally dawned on me when I noticed my initials were not engraved on it like they should have been.............I had ended up with his hammer. He apparently hadn't noticed but it bugged me no end.

I also have a blacksmithing hammer I picked up as part of a load of tooling I scored. It doesn't fly right at all. The weight it good but that is as far as it goes....so I never use it. Balance is awful.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:07 AM
Gadget Girl

AJ, I hope you got your hammer back..

I have a 3lb True temper hammer Blacksmith pattern cross peen that I have never been fond of..

I bought it once i could swing the 2.5lbs True temper Blacksmith hammer well enough to look at a larger hammer.. The 2.5lb was and is my main hammer for 40 years.. but I think I have used the 3lbs maybe 20times and each time I use it I then put it back in the rack just after a few swings..

I even reshaped the handle to try to get it to work, but since it always feels off I just left it.. Maybe a new handle would help out as it still has the original handle on it all this time later..

I think that if someone swings a hammer enough there are invisible forces at hand that make a hammer feel good to someone and not so good to others..

I was a hatchet swinger from the very earliest days and found I didn't like the way a full size felling ax felt in my hands (modern felling ax) at the blades are to thick and the weight is to much..

So I developed what I call the Hatchax.. It's a lighter head with a thinner blade profile on a long handle nearly as long as a felling ax..

This to me feels very good and can easily cut through a 3" oak or ash branch in 1 swing.. Light and fast..

As I said I hope you got your hammer back..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Director of Security

Hammers fit different folks just like clothing. Some fit and some don't.

I have 8-10 hammers of various patterns, including one that I paid quite a bit for. But my favorites are a 2 lb. Channellock crosspeen that I found at Quad State one year for $11, and a 2 lb. Diamond brand rounding hammer.

YMMV.

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 08-28-2018, 02:59 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
AJ, I hope you got your hammer back..
Yes I did. At the end of the week when I worked out what was going on, I went to where he was working, handed him the one I had and took mine back.

Instantly it felt 'right' again. I suppose if you use something for long enough you can tell right away if something is wrong or not.

Some tools however do feel good right off......usually an older one. A lot of new tools bought with quality in mind are just 'neutral'. Rare to pick up a new anything and have it feel special right away.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.