Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 06-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Shop motorized hammer

I've had pneumatic hammers, tire driven etc hammers and was looking at the dwgs of the Davinci hammer and of course thinking.

Something in a vertical column and vertical drop rather than a length of handle for the drop.

Gears are turning and a plan of action is at hand.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 07-01-2018, 01:01 AM
Elite Member

So its gear driven then...
Old 07-01-2018, 04:05 AM

Blacksmiths, and drummers

Never grew up, still beatin' on shit

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 07-01-2018, 04:38 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
So its gear driven then...
Well, lobe actually.

One of the neatest I've found yet is using a wheel driven by a motor, with the wheel having 'cleats' or straight feet to lift the hammer and drop it once the foot passes. A wheel having many feet to allow many hits.

I've needed a smaller hammer of like size for smaller more intricate work and see this one as the next addition. Small footprint easily portable.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 07-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Lord of the Minions

I can see it with a peening (round head) head mounted most often.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Elite Member

I have been thinking of building me one like this one there are a few YouTube videos of power hammers I have been researching for the last year at least.... but didn't want one with big foot print for in the shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMApZXgPstw

or something along the lines of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTIdrj1dNTQ

"Sticks And Stones May Brake My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"
Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 PM
Standard of Excellence

I have had a Little Giant hammer, mine was actually a Star brand, that had a 25 pound tup. It was an excellent hammer with great control. You could feather the clutch for very gentle hits when needed. My current pneumatic has a 50 pound tup and is also very easy to work with. If I was going to build a hammer it would be pneumatic, just so much easier to build and control.

Sounds like LW wants to build a trip hammer. I dont think a 50 pound trip hammer would be the equal of a 50 pound pneumatic or little giant style because it is only gravity accelerated, no extra mechanical acceleration.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
build a hammer it would be pneumatic, just so much easier to build and control.
Walker I had one, actually two over the years now and while it was nice and easily controlled, I have to say that it's all in what the user ends up with as being suitable in the end.

I'm not disagreeing with you on your thoughts of which is better than the other, but way too many years have been spent at the controls of and in the flame to say a green tractor is better than red. It depends on the user, what he needs and what he needs done.

As of now I've got two home built clones of the Lil Giant type hammers, one with a 50lb drop slug and the other closer to 125lbs. Both machines share the same footprint in size, height and width. The exception in weight and springs etc. I'm impressed with how well the larger will get me out from under a deadline with respect to a dozen shredder blades being tipped/edged.

I prefer them to any other I've had. But, I can be at home with anything will give the mechanical advantage over swinging my own hammers. lol

Now about the little wheeled hammer in the 1st post of this thread; for this work I do not need the bulk or the weight of a swing of that hammer by size to do some of the work I would normally sit and use my arm and hand to do. Meaning, I have a need for something with a light hit repeatable hit for finish, keeping the blows the same from the 1st minute to an hour or so later. Fine tuning is as simple as changing a spring or hammers head for weight difference. A little change can make a big difference in the finish. As in planishing works. I've got planishing hammers pneumatic etc that work, just need something more intricate.

With the bulk of copper and brass work I do repeatable hammer blows of such a setup is closer to my arm etc for repeatability. That motor and wheel will not get tired and increase or decrease in blows compared to my arms etc. lol

With the use of a mc brake caliper assy and belt clutch I can control and get instant stops and starts without having to move in and out with the part being hammered.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Made From Scratch

That's a neat idea, not something I'd have thought of. I can see the one in the video working well with a variable speed foot pedal to control the motor.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 AM
Lord of the Minions

Matt I do have several variable speed motors now on the shelves just perfect for this hammer style. But you will get to the point of 'float' as like found with valve springs on an engine at exceeded rpm.

I'm sure I'll find that sweet spot and leave it alone. lol