Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM

https://www.grainger.com/product/STA...nder-Set-5UAR7

Actually , deflection, and lead screw inaccuracy, will mostly make all your precision edge finding an exercise in futility

One way around it is to have a DRO, or use the poor man's DRO.....pancake dial indicator, or something equivalent.

I've always maintained that welding fabrication takes skill.....machining just takes a bottomless wallet

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 12-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Auction Addict

Speaking of the wallet, I just got a 20 piece set of 1/8" parallels at HF today. Used my 25% coupon so ended up paying $26. I expect the bleeding will not stop in the near future.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Last edited by milomilo; 12-07-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Something's Fishy ...

No it will only get worse until you have enough mill bling that you realize you need a ....... better mill. Then the cycle starts again
Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
No it will only get worse until you have enough mill bling that you realize you need a ....... better mill. Then the cycle starts again
So what mill are eyeing for the future?

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. A drill/mill is better than nothing but it's a far cry from a real mill. The upside is that there's very little tooling that you'd buy for the drill/mill that you wouldn't be able to use on a proper one so not a lot of waste.

Chris should allocate so much money from his monthly tooling budget to a fund he sets aside for the purchase of a real one. It's inevitable...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
So what mill are eyeing for the future?
For us? Or for you? I have a First LC 18; a Taiwanese built Bridgeport clone that weighs about 1000 lbs. more than a real Bridgeport. Terry has a really nice, clean clone--probably Taiwanese but I'm not sure--that I helped him find about 5-6 years ago and Gerry has his (relatively) new to him Lagun FTV-3 which is also an awesome machine. We're all livin' the dream--and paying the price --but it's worth it in every way.

You bein' a proud and patriotic American and all the only machine for you is a prime condition genyouwine Bridgeport. I don't think you'd be happy with anything else. Time to pony up Chris...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Well every once in a while my thoughts stray to that new CNC mill we had a look at
Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
For us? Or for you? I have a First LC 18; a Taiwanese built Bridgeport clone that weighs about 1000 lbs. more than a real Bridgeport. Terry has a really nice, clean clone--probably Taiwanese but I'm not sure--that I helped him find about 5-6 years ago and Gerry has his (relatively) new to him Lagun FTV-3 which is also an awesome machine. We're all livin' the dream--and paying the price --but it's worth it in every way.

You bein' a proud and patriotic American and all the only machine for you is a prime condition genyouwine Bridgeport. I don't think you'd be happy with anything else. Time to pony up Chris...
That was intended for Terry. I know you do not need another mill since you are retiring.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 AM
Something's Fishy ...

Truth is my shop has a 7ft 6 inch ceiling in it which puts a pretty hard limit on machine size.
I have had to get creative a couple of times to get enough travel range but a little thought and i get things done. If I was a full time machine shop the mill would definitely be larger.
All my machines and tooling have paid there bills and I am happy.

The first job I got for the mii put it in the black.
It was making arbors for an adjust on the fly edger. the shafts were about as long as I could cut in one pass and needed key ways 180 degrees apart. I made 5 of them along with the mounting to allow the entire saw set to be swapped out in about 5 minuets when they got dull. The edger was fast enough that it would easily catch up with the head saw if it needed to stop for a blade change.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Looking at edge/center finders for the new to me mill. There a different styles. I know nothing about them as to which type is best.

Thinking about getting one like this. Comments?????
I prefer this one by Starrett because one side can edge find on flat & round stock while the other end can center on punch marks.

https://www.grainger.com/product/STA...er_Also_Viewed

Your also going to need this one too because larger round stoch will limit the use of the other Edge Finder.

Edge Finder, Single, Cylindrical End Type, 0.5 Tip Dia. (In.)
Brand MITUTOYO
Item # 1ZRN6
Mfr. Model #050109