Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Made From Scratch

Thanks Cutter, I'm glad its not for sale

Whitetrash
That is really cool when your work hangs on for that long. I always get a kick out of it when older projects of mine pop up Be sure to post your work when you get something going.

Ironman
The straight lines are cut in with one of the thin red cutting wheels on a dremel. The rounded shoulders on the A and D are done with a half round rat tail file, and the insides of the S are done with a full round rat tail file. The hole in the A and D are done with a sharp center punch and a good smack with a hammer.

Greywynd, so far so good. I have to get used to it being clipped to my pocket, so I don't bang into things but otherwise I like it. I really like the shape of the knife handle, its much more comfortable than the flat tang on the old one. I haven't had to cut much more than baling twine so far though, which isn't much of a test.

Platypus
Our state laws say it is legal as long as you don't do anything stupid with it. Local laws vary wildly and I gave up on trying to research what I can do in different places. I started off and only carried a fixed blade around the farm or when I was working but I have gradually gotten to just carrying it everywhere I go. So far the only comments I've gotten have been positive. It probably fits in better since I wear boots and a cowboy hat and frequently have a horse following me around I did leave it at home when I visited New York last spring, but have had no problems at all in OH, PA, or KY.

Thanks again to everybody for looking
Old 10-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
Thanks Cutter, I'm glad its not for sale
So am I.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"... the catastrophe that awaits everyone from a single false move, wrong turn, fatal encounter. Every life has such a moment.
What distinguishes us is whether—and how—we ever come back.”
Charles Krauthammer 1950-2018
Old 10-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Blast this!

Our plant has a no weapon rule ,so each time the barely legal in Missouri knife comes out of the pocket to cut plastic ,I say it is a tool not a weapon .The only reason is I do not know who was last cut by the companies box knives and they have not saw fit to provide each with their own .
The oldest daughter works printing plastic film for edibles. They are provided fillet knifes to use rather than box knives .Seems strange to walk into the plant and see everyone with a 10 inch knife on the belt of everyone .
Old 10-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
Our plant has a no weapon rule ,so each time the barely legal in Missouri knife comes out of the pocket to cut plastic ,I say it is a tool not a weapon .The only reason is I do not know who was last cut by the companies box knives and they have not saw fit to provide each with their own .
The oldest daughter works printing plastic film for edibles. They are provided fillet knifes to use rather than box knives .Seems strange to walk into the plant and see everyone with a 10 inch knife on the belt of everyone .
I don't do very well with "no weapons" policies

I never understood the whole box cutter craze either. I suppose its the cheapest way to get a sharp knife but they don't hold an edge all that well and the tip can break off and go flying if you use it wrong. When I worked in landscaping for awhile there were times I'd have to cut open 75 trees in day. That's a lot of burlap and twine, and most of it is dirty. You run out of sharp edge a lot faster on a 1 inch box cutter than a 4 inch folder.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Gadget Girl

Great work Matt, tons of ideas for me to copy.. I love that you put your mark on the handle..

You mind if I copy it..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Great work Matt, tons of ideas for me to copy.. I love that you put your mark on the handle..

You mind if I copy it..
The knife, or my name?

Feel free to copy the knife or the sheath idea, there are a lots of similar knives out there and no two hands are alike so I'm sure your handle won't be the same anyhow.