Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 04-17-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The spiral is for compound bends or scrolls, I think. For bending scrolls up to 18" wide, I have the instructions saved, because the only way I know other than your spiral is to create a spiral with bolts on a large plate, and use the math to calculate it out.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around needing a spiral layout for making scrolls.... If you have those instructions, I'd love to see them?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Diacro benders are probably the most versatile bending tool you're going to find. We have a No. 3 which has served us well for years. They publish a manual titled "The Art Of Bending" which has a lot of very useful info. It's specific to their machines but in a lot of cases the "principles" of bending will be the same whatever you're bending with. Worth a look, for sure. Here's a link...

Art-Of-Bending

And instead of drill bits why not use dowel pins instead? They're made of alloy steel, heat-treated and ground .0002" oversize--should be just about a perfect fit in a 1/2" drilled hole. KBC has 1/2" x 2" priced at $1.88 CDN so they're a lot cheaper than drill bits and there'd be no putzing around with cutting or anything. If you want longer they make them up to 4" long...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Diacro benders are probably the most versatile bending tool you're going to find. We have a No. 3 which has served us well for years. They publish a manual titled "The Art Of Bending" which has a lot of very useful info. It's specific to their machines but in a lot of cases the "principles" of bending will be the same whatever you're bending with. Worth a look, for sure. Here's a link...

Art-Of-Bending

And instead of drill bits why not use dowel pins instead? They're made of alloy steel, heat-treated and ground .0002" oversize--should be just about a perfect fit in a 1/2" drilled hole. KBC has 1/2" x 2" priced at $1.88 CDN so they're a lot cheaper than drill bits and there'd be no putzing around with cutting or anything. If you want longer they make them up to 4" long...
Hadn't thought of dowel pins, thanks for the suggestion... I'll probably go with those instead!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Gadget Girl

those pin benders are very handy..

As to scrolls there is a whole mathematical formula (Ironman knows it) which basically states that a box, withing a box within a box halfed each time is the correct formula..

A scroll for all intensive purposes should look like it's never getting bigger all of a sudden and with no flat spots..

Something about pleasing to the eye.. When I used to make scrolls I never new about the formula.. but I did understand how it is supposed to look to the eye..

Of course there is some variation based on size and such but for any given object bent in a circular way, there is a look that presents as smooth..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Gold Star Dad

Jen, do you mean a nautilus scroll?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nautilus scroll Fibonacci sequence.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	145361  
Old 06-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Our friend, Mr. Fibonacci,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-05-2018, 01:52 PM

Yeah, I get the whole Fibonacci/Nautilus thing... But I'm still having a hard time figuring out how the spiral layout of holes, (like they are in the first pic in this thread) helps to make a scroll.

I can't find anyone on the web using that layout to make scrolls.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 AM
Elite Member

I made a scroll bender for the Hossfeld knockoff I made many years ago. I'll see if I still have the CAD file.

I used the golden ratio to lay mine out (which is essentially the same as the Fibonacci sequence shown above). After doing the layout, I added some shape to it, and cut the 2 pieces out of 1" plate with a torch. I hinged the two pieces with a #80H? chain link. I don't usually end up using the second piece.

Depending on what time I get home from Madtown, I'll add some pictures tonight.

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app