Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 PM
Urban Gunfighter

If you got stuff worked on by Keith, you got good machines...

We have a Cincinnati Bickford drill at work. I cringe every time the shop guys use it. Could be a very nice drill if cleaned up. Works awesome. Except when they think it is drilling too slow, and "speed it up" and literally melt a 2" drill.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 12-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
Went and picked up the drill from Keith Rucker today. Got to check out his shop. I like the Carlton radial drill he has that replaced this one.
Very nice drill press. I always wanted a radial arm, but could not part with the floor space, and up to a few years ago that was a premium with a 23 x 20 shop.
And wanting and needing were two different things. You got a big shop coming and real estate is no problem.
It'll be a great tool once you can get it to drill vertically

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 12-15-2018, 11:44 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071 View Post
If you got stuff worked on by Keith, you got good machines...

We have a Cincinnati Bickford drill at work. I cringe every time the shop guys use it. Could be a very nice drill if cleaned up. Works awesome. Except when they think it is drilling too slow, and "speed it up" and literally melt a 2" drill.
I completely agree with you. Pretty cool guy in person. He puts a lot of time into his machinery for sure.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Kibble King

On the Gorton Mill the spindle has what appears to be a Universal Engineering Kwick Change holder size 200.

If the spindle in the mill is nmtb 40 shouldn't there be a draw bar holding the tool holder in? There isn't.

I have a few collet holders that fit the Kwik Change and a full set if ZZ type collets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181222_171938902.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	148597  
Old 12-25-2018, 10:18 PM
The Real Deal

Did you check to see if the draw bar is broken or even missing all together
Old 12-26-2018, 08:18 AM

That particular Gorton mill will not have a draw bar. That nut on the bottom of the spindle is what holds the adapters in the spindle. You're pretty much stuck on what tooling you can use. If it is really a true No. 40 taper in the spindle, you can use standard NMTB 40 holders, But, you will have to modify the flange to fit into the spindle. Now, if it is a true Erickson (Universal Engineering) spindle, and Gorton supplied them in their mills back then, then you can only use the adapters with the big ears on them, the Quick switch ones.

Oops, I may have that twisted up. Erickson spindle would accept modified No. 40 adapters. The Universal Engineering spindle accepts the Quick Switch adapters.

Sorry, Ken
Old 12-26-2018, 12:52 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
If the spindle in the mill is nmtb 40 shouldn't there be a draw bar holding the tool holder in? There isn't.
Hard to say.

I'm not familiar with the Gorton mills.
It does look like you have some type of NMTB to Kwik Change master in the spindle.
Being you can see a drive-key-slot for the NMTB, I assume the master comes out, they would not have cut a drive-key-slot if the spindle was a Kwik-Change "spindle".

Just maybe you have some type of power draw-bar system.
look on the other side of the spindle and see if there is a drive-key in the NMTB slot.
you don't want the master spinning in your hand if you activate a power draw-bar.

An exception maybe a pull-stud system and a lever releases the holders

Until you figure it out.
A word of caution place something soft on the mill table. so if the master drops out it will not damage the table or master.

Last edited by GWIZ; 12-26-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:32 PM

I'm very familiar with Gorton Mills...
According to the parts book there was six different spindle configurations offered by Gorton. None of them are Erickson or Quick Switch ones.
All you have to do is reach over the top of head and the spindle and feel for a hole thru the spindle or a square drive on the end of the draw bar. It'll either have or it will not. If it doesn't have a draw bar, it is a true Erickson spindle replacement for No. 40, or if it takes UE Quick Switch adapters, again it could be an integral spindle.
And it's possible it is a NMTB No. 40 by Quick Switch spindle adapter. I doubt this is the case, it would stick down about 3" below the mill spindle if it was. The pictures don't say that IMO. Ken
Old 12-26-2018, 10:47 PM
Kibble King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gsr View Post
I'm very familiar with Gorton Mills...
According to the parts book there was six different spindle configurations offered by Gorton. None of them are Erickson or Quick Switch ones.
All you have to do is reach over the top of head and the spindle and feel for a hole thru the spindle or a square drive on the end of the draw bar. It'll either have or it will not. If it doesn't have a draw bar, it is a true Erickson spindle replacement for No. 40, or if it takes UE Quick Switch adapters, again it could be an integral spindle.
And it's possible it is a NMTB No. 40 by Quick Switch spindle adapter. I doubt this is the case, it would stick down about 3" below the mill spindle if it was. The pictures don't say that IMO. Ken
I couldn't get up high enough to see if there should be a draw bar but I don't feel one sticking up.

Looks like either way the Quick Switch tool holders aren't
too expensive. I just need a assortment of endmil holders and a Jacobs chuck that will fit.

Bonus is all the nmtb 40 holders and boring head I have. Save it for a machine that will fit it.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:09 PM

Great timing on this thread! I just scored a Gorton 1-22 with a 40 taper Spindle nose. I haven't been able to find anybody else with the 40 taper.
I have a question about your drawbar.
Mine came with a homemade drawbar.
When I started looking in to it, to make a new nicer drawbar, I realized the cutting spindle bore wasn't wide enough to pass 5/8" through.
Is your 40 taper spindle the same? Can you remove your drawbar from the top?
I guess this is specifically directed at IronMan and OldRedFord (and anyone else who has a 40 taper spindle).
Mine's set up for NMTB 40, and I was hoping to just be able to swap drawbars to swap between CAT40 and BT40, but being as the drawbar doesn't pull out the top, I either have to swap from the bottom, OR make an extension / adapter to take up the space of the NMTB 40 shoulder (and make one for each toolholder probably, because it will not be easy to change out from the spindle nose).
I'll most likely settle on just using CAT40 (because they're so abundant), but I want my cake and to eat it too
Thanks!