Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-12-2018, 12:26 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Now that I have a tig welder at home, I am looking to get some filler rods on hand. My old boss would just order what he thought was best, so that is what I had to work with. I would not necessarily pick out the filler metal due to what it was, just pick out the size to what I was welding on. Had different grades of stainless and alum in different diameters, but not all grades in all sizes.

Anyways, I don’t want to drop a $1000 to have everything covered, but would like to be able to weld stainless and aluminum, and possibly cast iron repairs. My welder is only 175 amps, do I can probably stay with 1/16- 3/32” size due to amperage available, and maybe only .045 in stainless. I expect to do light gauge, 16-18 gauge most likely the most. Have a lot of stainless from restaurant kitchen to work with, and might make new pans for sugar shack, (if I get to that this year)

I am leaning towards 4043 for alum,
309 for stainless, mostly because it is supposed to be better for disimilar metals, like stainless to steel,
And maybe some alum bronze for cast repairs.

Also, any decent welding supply places to look into? I have an air gas store in town, but I can’t get there during their business hours unless I take time off of work to do so, so it is not very convenient for me. I will have make that work when I need gas, but I am looking into getting an account set up and have gas deliveries to my work place with a LWS that nearest store is 70 miles away
but has been slowly taking air gas business away.

Anyways, what recommendations do you guys have.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
If your looking for filler and consumables weldingdirect.com might be of some help to you...

"Sticks And Stones May Brake My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"
Old 12-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Grumpy Bastard

316 is also good for dissimilar metals; you should not use 309 on 316
base metal. So I would recommend 316, it a single alloy for a broader
applications.

4043 welds easier than 5356 for aluminum, IMO...

I use nickel for cast iron repairs but if you want to TIG braze aluminum
bronze is a good choice, but I have minimal experience with it.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 12-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Gadget Girl

I have a pretty good selection now.. storage of the steel rods becomes important if you have any moisture in the area..

for most small jobs on lighter work.. 0.045 ER70-6 is the go to..

for alum 4943 is my go to now.. I have in stock 4043 and some 5000 series but after someone here sent me some samples I have switched for nearly all tig repairs.. It offers some features the 4043 doesn't even come close to..

It is heat treatable for starters.. But even with this being a non starter for a lot.. It's really just a nice rod to run..

I only have it in 3/32 I think but might have a few in 1/8"..

In stainless. I have 308, 316L and 347..

I have found there is a difference in the MFG and sometimes you do get a bad batch of wire.. I try to buy off ebay for the most part as this has allowed for me to stock up..

I use Rod guards, though using ABS pipe with caps works and is probably cheaper.. I bought 10 rod guards when I found them on sale.. Probably got 15 of the things..

So short list.. 0.045 70-6, 3/32" 70-6. and for alum 4943 (98% of the time). and for stainless 316L 3/32 as I bought nearly 40lbs in a package deal.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 AM
Gadget Girl

Here is some info on the 4943:

Name Hobart® MaxalMig® 4943
Brand HOBART®
Category MaxalMig®
Description Alloy 4943 filler metal was formulated to be welded with the same weld procedure specifications as 4043 and 4643, and does not depend upon dilution from the base metal during welding to increase the strength of the weld deposit, while maintaining the same weld characteristics and benefits of 4043 and 4643. Features/Benefits: - 25% higher UTS & 50% higher yield strength than 4043 in the as welded condition (typical) - Moderate/high strength (35 ksi typical) - Low melting temperature/high fluidity - Low welding smut and discoloration - Low ductility, formability, and lower toughness (similar to 4043) - Moderate electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity - Post weld fully heat treatable requiring no base metal dilution - Excellent corrosion resistance - Low shrinkage rate/reduced distortion - Low hot cracking sensitivity in most applications
Applications Welding 6xxx alloys, radiators and air conditioning components, general repair and maintenance, water and gas tight applications, post weld age, post weld heat treat & age applications, automotive/motorcycle frames, sports products - scooters/bicycles, general repair and maintenance, aerospace hardware, ladders and frames, alloy 356 castings, wheels, ship decks, furniture
Industries
AWS ER4943
EN ISO

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Here is some info on the 4943:

NameHobart MaxalMig 4943

BrandHOBART

CategoryMaxalMig

DescriptionAlloy 4943 filler metal was formulated to be welded with the same weld procedure specifications as 4043 and 4643, and does not depend upon dilution from the base metal during welding to increase the strength of the weld deposit, while maintaining the same weld characteristics and benefits of 4043 and 4643. Features/Benefits: - 25% higher UTS & 50% higher yield strength than 4043 in the as welded condition (typical) - Moderate/high strength (35 ksi typical) - Low melting temperature/high fluidity - Low welding smut and discoloration - Low ductility, formability, and lower toughness (similar to 4043) - Moderate electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity - Post weld fully heat treatable requiring no base metal dilution - Excellent corrosion resistance - Low shrinkage rate/reduced distortion - Low hot cracking sensitivity in most applications

ApplicationsWelding 6xxx alloys, radiators and air conditioning components, general repair and maintenance, water and gas tight applications, post weld age, post weld heat treat & age applications, automotive/motorcycle frames, sports products - scooters/bicycles, general repair and maintenance, aerospace hardware, ladders and frames, alloy 356 castings, wheels, ship decks, furniture

Industries

AWSER4943

EN ISO

The 4943 rod was developed in a small town in northern Michigan about 70 miles from me. I remember when it was first being introduced, my LWS salesman brought me some in that an hour earlier he had picked up still warm direct at the factory.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7560.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	148460

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden