Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
I like this idea as my nephew is taking over the family farm. He uses the "no-till" method of farming & says his crop yields are improving because of the improved soil moisture in the dryland. He says his yield is approaching that of irrigated land.
Yea, getting to be the norm anymore. Some farms are doing more of a minimum till,to keep the ground from getting so tight.

Quote:
When you say "one pull of our big rigs", are you referring to the tractor running across the field once, or just enough to refill them for a few laps?
Our big sprayers have 1800 gal tanks,and the 4 tanks on the trailer are 1600 gals each. So,one pull will fill the rig's tank once. Depending on the gals. rate required that pull may cover 16-160 acres. This also will let us bring 4 different mixes to the field in one trip. Many times this will save us miles of running around,by staying put and running other fields in the area with different requirements...corn,beans,milo,etc.

The long manifolds on the side also allows each tank to be recirculated,or to be able to move product from tank to tank. Such as equalizing tanks,or redistributing the load. We're using a hydr. driven 4" x 3" pump,which is the reason for the pressurized canister on the side. It is filled with antifreeze and aired up to keep the back side of the pump seal lubed,so running dry doesn't burn it up. Plumbing is out of stainless for obvious reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t31.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	49056   Click image for larger version

Name:	t39b.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	49057  
Old 08-01-2009, 12:20 AM

This would be one of our smaller spray rigs,used for spraying herbicides and pesticides on standing rowcrop. These only apply water mixed with chemicals,and usually at a low gal per acre rate.

This is a trailer I built last season. Needed a way to haul this rig,and also carry enough water and chemicals to stay out all day. Had this old oilfield flatbed (left for dead yrs. ago) sitting around with the right measurements.

Worked out pretty well as a lowboy,once the ramps were in place. The ramps and guide rails lift out for trailer wheel access. There are also turn posts at the rear to help guide the rig on. You can be 4" off and it'll steer itself right on. The front wheels drop into a cradle,then 2 big rachet straps suck the rear down. Takes just a minute or two to load. A 3200 gal. tank fit in front,as well as the chemical totes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t33b.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	49058   Click image for larger version

Name:	t34.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	49059   Click image for larger version

Name:	t37.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	49060   Click image for larger version

Name:	t36.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	49061   Click image for larger version

Name:	t32.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	49062  

Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

very interesting trailer.
i like the way the spray rig straddles the trailer,good thinking.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 AM

I'm assuming the 1800 gallon tanks are on your floaters? Around here, 12-1500 is the norm for most of Terragator style rigs. The outfit my buddy used to work for, they had a Deere with a 1400 gallon tank, but that was on a high boy. You do some really good and interesting work Bmac. If the fertilizer outfit I worked for years ago would've allowed me to have as much as you get to have, I'd probably still be there. Oh well. I this new trailer you're building strictly for chemical use, or are you also using it for fertilzier tending as well?

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan
Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukfan View Post
I'm assuming the 1800 gallon tanks are on your floaters?
Correct, floaters....ah, a man from the bizz! I had a cool project last year that you'd be interested in,envolving building a monster special duty floater with a 2700 gal tank. That's another thread tho...

Quote:
If the fertilizer outfit I worked for years ago would've allowed me to have as much as you get to have, I'd probably still be there.
Are you talking equipment, or shop,tools,and materials?

Quote:
I this new trailer you're building strictly for chemical use, or are you also using it for fertilzier tending as well?
Yes, both. More fertilizer than water. We apply a lot of chemicals with the fertilizer,such as top dressing wheat and pre-plant on the fall crops. Water work thru the floaters is mostly burn down work on the no-till ground.

We melt down and blend most of our fertilizer. Actually sell a lot of it to other outfits in the area. As of now we have 5 million gals. in storage capacity. This all requires lots of one-off type of builds with limited life spans. More work than I could ever keep up with. Should be there this Sat. morning,but was out till 10pm lastnight running that big floater I mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beast1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	49064  

Last edited by Bmac; 08-01-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Bmac:
Quote:
Are you talking equipment, or shop,tools,and materials?
All of the above, LOL. Being from Kansas, you've perhaps heard of Twin-State Engineering out of Iowa, now Twin-State Inc. They've got a big plant in Janesville WI, which is about 30 miles west of me, on the the rail. They also bought out a private fertilizer company here in my hometown 8-10 years ago. I worked for about a season and a half for them here in town. We dealt exclusively in liquid fertilizer, and I was the batch mixer, truck loader/unloader, chem-shed guy, delivery guy, sprayer maint. guy, and everything else. You know how it is. We had 20+ silos for storage, plus 200 ton capacity for dry storage of the pot ash and urea we used for making the fertilizer for Tru-Green Chemlawn, plus other farm blends. It was a fun job, but Twin-State didn't want to spend any money on us. In the last 2-3 years though, they've spent crazy money. They now have 3 Case IH 3 wheeled floaters, 1 TerraGator, and 3 big Case IH high boys with the 1000 gal. tanks. When I was there, we only had 2 floaters, and 2 of the little "Patriot" Case IH high boys. Oh well, maybe some day I'll get to work something like that again. Thanks for showing us the pics Bmac.

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan
Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

For a derailed thread, this one seems to be working out pretty well.
Thanks for carrying forward, Bmac.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Took long enough,but finally had enough rainy days to finish this project. Too many others have taken priority along the way. Rolled her out of the shop today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t88.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	51623   Click image for larger version

Name:	t89.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	51624   Click image for larger version

Name:	t86.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	51625  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Awesome build Bmac. Looks better than factory. How many gallons do the two tanks let you carry?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM

If you look close there are actually 4 tanks, 1600 gals. per.