Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-15-2018, 11:11 PM

Well I brought the board to a local guy that fixes lots of electronic stuff. He said he would give it a good cleaning. It's probably going to need at least a couple of components replaced. I noticed one diode had jumped ship probably when I was blowing it off.

I need to find a good price on the main switch. It wasn't operating and when I took it apart it was broke up inside. I wonder if something had gotten dropped on it while it was in storage.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:31 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Personally I would pressure wash it off and try it. The worst that could happen is that you brick it. If you are already looking for a new welder because of this ones condition, then it is essentially pre bricked, so no loss if it fails.
This was my thought although it sounds like you already "uberluft"-ed it! (ie: missing diode) I hate meeses to pieces!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-15-2018, 11:31 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Don.........
The Main switch is prolly something you will need to obtain from the manufacture unless you want to go aftermarket then its what ever you find and how you decide it will install if not too worried about where the switch goes and not to concerned about factory appearance the aftermarket is the more cost effective way to go........but that's a decision that you may have to make.... if your guy is able to repair the board diode aren't expensive but the repair may be but i think is the way to go as i don't think you will spend even close to a grand at least let hope so cause it sucks to spend funds ya didn't plan on.......
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Gold Star Dad

There's a fellow "7A749" who is a moderator at Welding Web. Steve used to refurb welders for a living and I think he did a lot with Maxtrons. He can do great work. Perhaps he would still have parts and pieces in his spares pool. PM me if you need his email address. He's in Lansing, MI, I think.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 PM

I may have to take you up on that. We'll see where this goes for now.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
There's a fellow "7A749" who is a moderator at Welding Web. Steve used to refurb welders for a living and I think he did a lot with Maxtrons. He can do great work. Perhaps he would still have parts and pieces in his spares pool. PM me if you need his email address. He's in Lansing, MI, I think.
Kind of think he sold all of his Maxtron stuff off.. He does know those machines, and certainly can tell you exactly what should be done or not done with them.

I bought a 74 feeder from him, and he also knows which Miller feeders to stay away from. Miller #60 series is one of them..
Old 02-18-2018, 02:23 PM
SFT Historian

Back in the day there was one shop that would use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean TV tuners that caught fire, that was before static sensitive transistors came out.

Not sure if that will be safe with the parts on your board.
4000 series IC's that your board has are considered sensitive.

Last edited by GWIZ; 02-18-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:28 AM

Well a quick update. My local guy got around to cleaning up the board and found several new components missing that had corroded off. He was nice enough to not charge me anything since he was just getting started but now I have a new delima. I might need to get a hold of 7A749 to see if he has the schematics for the board or if he wants to tackle it.

Otherwise I'm back to where I was and deciding between an older machine with potential spare parts availability from this one or a current machine at about 2x the cost and no spares. I'm glad I didn't run out and by the $70 switch before I heard back from the the local guy.

Don
Old 03-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Default xmt350 dud

I had an XMT300CC/CV since 1992, it was a great machine,lasted a good long time and made me money..so it finally went belly up dead,so I bought a used XMT350 CC/CV off an ebay merchant, yes it worked initially for about 6months then took a big dump. I bought the service manual and diagnosed it, the main control card was bad,and it had evidence of being repaired before. From what I can gather most of the XMT350s are in manufacturing environments and are run shiftwork then replaced when operating hours get high..only to be sold cheap and flipped on ebay for $1k or so..you think you are getting a good deal only to find out months later you got a turd. So besides the control card now also I find with further diagnostics one of two IGBT modules are bad and to replace them is a complete kit from Miller at the price of $1300 because the older Semikron IGBTs are obsolete and Miller had to re-engineer the replacement as a complete kit with PC board that sits on top of them. Miller's tech support was excellent,thats why I buy blue. Anyway too much $$ to repair for me so I bought a CP252TS CV transformer MIG power supply..no more inverters for me FWIW
Strands Gear Drive Drill Press, RongFu 3hp Gear Drive Drill
Tannewitz 36" Contour Saw, 16" 5hp Chop Saw
Rockwell 6x48 belt grinder,Grizzly 6x48 belt sander
48" Chicago Box Pan Brake, Hydraulic compact Press Brake
3 forklifts,4 generators,2 IR Air compressors
Not Enough Room
Old 03-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
I had an XMT300CC/CV since 1992, it was a great machine,lasted a good long time and made me money..so it finally went belly up dead,so I bought a used XMT350 CC/CV off an ebay merchant, yes it worked initially for about 6months then took a big dump. I bought the service manual and diagnosed it, the main control card was bad,and it had evidence of being repaired before. From what I can gather most of the XMT350s are in manufacturing environments and are run shiftwork then replaced when operating hours get high..only to be sold cheap and flipped on ebay for $1k or so..you think you are getting a good deal only to find out months later you got a turd. So besides the control card now also I find with further diagnostics one of two IGBT modules are bad and to replace them is a complete kit from Miller at the price of $1300 because the older Semikron IGBTs are obsolete and Miller had to re-engineer the replacement as a complete kit with PC board that sits on top of them. Miller's tech support was excellent,thats why I buy blue. Anyway too much $$ to repair for me so I bought a CP252TS CV transformer MIG power supply..no more inverters for me FWIW
Yup, I frequent a shop that buys qty (5) to keep qty (4) going on the shop floor.

And they have switched form blue to red, same problems.

Finally they went to the grossly oversized Lincoln 650 inverters, I guess they are doing o.k. but I think the price may be excessive.

One thing is for sure, they are not portable.