Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-30-2005, 12:19 PM
SFT Brewmaster

here is shot of my spit ....notice the sprocket on the endit is 3 times bigger than the one on the motor ... and the 2 plates behind it ....the plates are to keep the spit from traveling side to side and if you look close at the shot of the roaster in the back ground you can see the spit rests on a piece of pipe that is split ....i use fat from the pig and set in in on top of the spit in the pipe for lube
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spit.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	6098  

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------
Old 08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Urban Gunfighter

another thing to consider is what type of ac motor you are dealing with. if it has a centrifugal switch to switch into and out of the start windings, simply slowing it down will cause all kinds of havoc... Most of the electronic speed controls I used to deal with (1 phase ac motors, anyway) were magic black box triac type controls that had to be used on a PSC (permanent split capacitor) type motor. gear motor or a sprocket reduction will be your best bet, I think.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Curmudgeon

Okay fmed, thanks for the link.
I was curious to see if someone had come up with a controller for brushless AC motors. Nope.

Suggestion - and a request:
If you look at the upper right hand corner of this page, you will see that my location shows "Lubbock, Texas". We have found it to be a handy thing on this site for all members to post their locations in their profiles. (That way, Stovepoker would not have had to ask.) If you would please, look at the blue header bar with white letters, click "User CP" on the left hand side, click "edit profile", scroll down and fill in the "location" line, then scroll to the bottom & "save changes". We would appreciate it. City & province/state is sufficient. You will probably be surprised how often your whereabouts is relevant to the conversation.

And any of you other newbs that we haven't lassoed yet, please do the same. It is a custom we have tried to maintain here since the beginning because the nature of discussions here very often deal with where to get what or how to locate something nearby. Besides, we're just naturally nosey & like to know about you.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 08-30-2005, 12:31 PM
SFT Brewmaster

shot of it going in ...i looked for better shot of the motor but couldn't find one
it is the same motor as on the site 3men.....i just went with a chain drive and not direct...easier to slow down and speed up with just a change of sprockets ....the motor sits on a slide on side of roaster and can move up and down to engage the chain to drive the spit
the back of roaster has sliding door to regulate the air to the fire as needed ....and the fire stays in the back ...not under pig ....that way no grease fires...you can sit and relax with a beer or few while it cooks...if my friend come over with a digital camera and we get motovated i wil drag it out from behind building and shoot a few shots of everything...i build a twin to this roaster and the guy told me he did a 200lbs pig then stuffed it with chickens and the spit had no problem turning it for the 14 hours it took to cook
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	going in 1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	6099  

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------
Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 PM
fmed

@boilerman - Thanks for that pic. It's very helpful.

@chumly2071 - hmmmm....I nevered considered that centrifugal switch issue. I'll have to study up on motors. Unfortunately, the motors I have now are from parts unknown. Is there an easy way to tell if the motor is a PSC type? Neither of them have a capacitor now.

It certainly looks more and more like a gearbox is the safest route.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
fmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter
Okay fmed, thanks for the link.
I was curious to see if someone had come up with a controller for brushless AC motors. Nope.

Suggestion - and a request:
If you look at the upper right hand corner of this page, you will see that my location shows "Lubbock, Texas". We have found it to be a handy thing on this site for all members to post their locations in their profiles. ...
Done! Sorry about that!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Pit Boss

Canada...................what are you thinking trying to build a BBQ in Canada. LOL

I guess you would need a pretty powerful motor to spin those moose on the spit.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Curmudgeon

Fmed,

If your motor has carbon brushes, i. e., is a "universal" motor, then chances are that controller will run it. The better ones often have plastic or bakelite caps on one end 180 degrees apart that screw out to provide access to the brushes. On the other hand, the common fan-type motor that Chumly referred to is detectable when you turn it off; there will be an audible click when the centrifugal switch disengages. Or you can remove the bell cap from the end opposite the shaft & see the switch.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 08-30-2005, 01:19 PM
fmed

LOL yes...we are certainly not known for our BBQ. Our loss though. Southern Style BBQ is getting to be more and more popular here...but it's nothing like what you guys can get at the roadside.

@cutter - Thanks for that tip. I will check when I get home today.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:58 PM

Here's one that was built over 30 years ago. It is used year-'round, yep, even in January. This evolved from a wood-fired unit to an insulated staiinless steel lean, mean, ccokin' machine. Sorry it aint too pretty, and I hope none of the welds show in these pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pigrostr.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	6100