Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM
I can dig it

Here actually it's red and says "buried Electric line" Safety tape in order to meet code. (At least on service stuff.)

For anything else (water lines, low voltage lines etc) I try to use the generic yellow caution tape or something similar, in a pinch I've even used orange or green flagging tape. Anything that will hopefully catch the attention of an unknowing operator sometime in the future.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Here actually it's red and says "buried Electric line" Safety tape in order to meet code. (At least on service stuff.)

For anything else (water lines, low voltage lines etc) I try to use the generic yellow caution tape or something similar, in a pinch I've even used orange or green flagging tape. Anything that will hopefully catch the attention of an unknowing operator sometime in the future.
I was approved by the electrical inspector last year when using "Police line Do not cross" tape

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Gerry, I am using yellow caution tape, buried about a foot down, instead of the regular buried electrical line tape. The inspector wanted something in there as once the conduit is in, it will be mapped for OneCall. I could not get a roll of the right tape so I am using what I could get.
greywynd, I knew about the correct tape but could not get a roll without waiting on it. The inspector said that since I was doing the work I could use caution tape instead of the correct tape. If I had hired it done he would have insisted on the correct tape.
The forecast has been for rain the last few days so I have not done any digging, once the weather straightens out I will dig across the driveway for both the 3" and the 2" conduits.
Since I have to drive new ground stakes, I decided to make an adapter so I can drive them with my post driver, instead of having to stand on a step ladder and use a sledge hammer. The shafting I made the main pivot pin from had a buggered up end on it. I cut it about 6" long, this gave me a undamaged area to grip in the three jaw chuck on the lathe. I cleaned up the damaged area, then flipped it around and cleaned the rust off the other end. Then I drilled a 11/16" hole 4" deep into it. All that is left to do is drill and tap two holes in the shoulder for 1/2" - 13 setscrews. The holes will be 180° apart, one will be adjusted to center the rod and the other one will be tightened to prevent the adapter from bouncing off the rod while it is being driven in.
Dan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GSD001.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	80932   Click image for larger version

Name:	GSD002.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	80933   Click image for larger version

Name:	GSD003.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	80934  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 09-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Elite Member

Isn't nice to have a lathe sitting the corner just waiting for some dumb little job?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
Isn't nice to have a lathe sitting the corner just waiting for some dumb little job?
kbs, yep it sure is.
I drilled and tapped the holes for the setscrews, and set the one setscrew to center the rod in the driver. I installed the second setscrew. then stamped top end with what the driver is for and stamped the bottom end with the date it was finished.
  1. One setscrew.
  2. Second setscrew.
  3. Driver installed on grounding rod.
  4. Using bolt and tee nuts instead of screws.
  5. All assembled.
After finishing up the driver I started on the plywood mounting plate for the meter base and the rainproof enclosure. After double checking my figures I cut a 29-1/4" X 30" piece of 3/4" plywood. Then I positioned the two boxes on the plywood and drilled hole to install 1/4" -20 tee nuts and bolts instead of screws to fasten the boxes to the plywood. After the boxes were fastened to the plywood, I got the measurements for the nipples to install the LL conduit body between the meter base and the rainproof enclosure. I glued the fitting together and installed it.
Before I quit for the day the boxes were removed from the plywood, today the plywood will be coated with POR-15 on the front and on the edges to weather proof it. I will cut the PT 2 X 8 to mount the plywood to the wall, so they are ready to go when I am ready to install them on the wall. The 2 X 8 will extend past the plywood by two inches on each edge. This will allow me to install J-channel around the boxes when I install the vinyl siding on the house In the future.
Dan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESU024.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	80998   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU025.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	81002   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU026.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	81003   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU027.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	81004   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU028.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	81005  

Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Elite Member

Thats a good idea for driving the ground rods. I do believe the rods are better than ground plates, but with our house service I just did like the inspector said and threw a ground plate in the trench before back filling. Actually I didn't trust just one so I ran a continious #6 copper through the clamp on the first plate to the clamp on a second plate 10 feet further up the trench. I did have pics somewhere?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Floptop, two ground stakes here a minimum of six feet apart with a continuous 6 ga. solid copper wire from the farthest rod out to the enclosures termination point.
I need to get the 3" conduit in and the height set for the bottom of the meter base then I can set the 2" conduits height and drive in the ground rods between the two conduits.
I have been waiting out the rain here but the weather forecast is not the greatest for the next week. So I am going to start digging ditch here in a little while. This portion of the ditch will be the toughest to dig as it crosses the driveway.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I was approved by the electrical inspector last year when using "Police line Do not cross" tape
That's supposed to be buried on both sides of the line. That way, when you do dig up the line and get zapped, it saves time for the first responders.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

The progress yesterday was slow, I managed to get the trench dug to the driveways and the drain tiles location determined. I then dug a pit 90° to the trench on the far side of the drain tile. I was just finishing the pit up when I heard a "BANG" and the boom took off on its own.
The swing of the hoe is operated by two cylinders connected together by 120 pitch chain, the chain runs on a sprocket that sets below the hoes pivot housing. The two double acting cylinders are set up as single acting, that when you swing one way that cylinder has pressure on it and the other cylinder is open to the reservoir.
One of the links on the chain failed under load and that was the bang I heard. Years ago I had another link fail, on a Saturday and I fixed it by making two plates with the proper hole spacing for the 120 pitch chain, then bolting the two plates into the chain. I then ordered a 4 repair links for the chain. I knew I had the links but where I had put them all those years ago?
After going through about 75% of my inventory I decided to check in my tool chest and roll-away, I found them in the bottom drawer of the roll-away.
I replaced the broken link and the homemade link with new ones, and was back in business after setting the chain to sprocket timing. I will have to order some 120 pitch chain and replace the old chain with new in the future.
After getting the repairs done I dug out the corner and cleaned it up and called it a night.
  1. Trench to the driveway.
  2. Chain.
  3. Where the link broke.
  4. The broken link.
  5. The connector block.
Dan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESU029.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	81037   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU030.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	81038   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU031.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	81039   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU033.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	81040   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU034.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	81041  

Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Photos of the trench.
  1. Where I quit last night.
  2. Trench to the driveway.
  3. Corner of the two trenches
  4. End of the trench just before the drain tile.
  5. Pit on the driveway side of the drain tile.
Today I plan on pushing a piece of 4" schedule 40 steel pipe under the drain tile from the trench to the pit on the driveway side of the trench. this will produce a hole for the 3" conduit to be installed into and then I will push a two inch schedule 40 pipe through to install the 3/4" conduit into.
If the hoe won't push them through I will use one of my 15 ton Simplex jacks to push the pipes through with. It might take all day to get them through, but we will see. Worse comes to worst I will use a bar to dig the hole out.
Dan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESU035.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	81042   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU037.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	81043   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESU038.jpg