Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 08-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr
I haven't used a drill or easy outs in years I use the ole washer and nut trick and have had sucess with the pipe welded to the stud trick.

I remove probablt 10-20 broken bolts a week. couple weeks ago I had a 3/4" bolt broken 3/4" down ina hole. I guess I thought I was all smart welding a piece of 1/2 pipe from the inside and spinning it out. I guess its been done before
its a good idea to weld a nut on the top of the pipe when you are done. I hate using pipe wrenches unless necessary.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Lord of the Minions

Someone of this membership needs to help me find plans for making a usuable EDM system without all the bells and whistles of the higher dollar ones.

Seems like that would be feasible with all the eyes we have out there.

Any takers?

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:16 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway
Someone of this membership needs to help me find plans for making a usuable EDM system without all the bells and whistles of the higher dollar ones.

Seems like that would be feasible with all the eyes we have out there.

Any takers?

LW
Don't know if its any good. I been eyeing plans on e-Bay, but have been too cheap to spend $23 for the plans.
Not only that, I did not want to place another project on my list.

My thinking was for burning out taps, or studs.
Manual X and Y positioning with my mill/drill.

Someone had sold a completed one made from the plans on e-Bay for about $600.00

For what application do you need one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOW-TO-BUILD-AN-...QQcmdZViewItem

G, if this site works it maybe cheaper.
http://store.homeshopmachinist.net/i...t=1&maxrows=10

=======================================
Or maybe this one. look like less parts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260020534687

Would also need to know what liquid they use, kerosene (hydrocarbon dielectric fluid) doesn't sound safe to me or any hydrocarbon ?.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:32 AM
Lord of the Minions

Ah, someone else that keeps good hours. lol

GWIZ, I'd be interested in something that could mate up to a somewhat worn out drill press with a cheapo cross slide attached.

I was wondering if something like this could be jigged for different applications. Not everything can be placed on a simple platform and/or gotten to.

I'll check into wether there is the option of have the working head of the EDM could be more mobile and used in a way as to allow portability etc to the work as on the equipment that has the broken stud etc.

I'm checking out the E-Bay offering now. If I find it has some useful info I will purchase what and all I can.

Thanks for that one.

Keep looking as well

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:56 AM
Post Fiend

Default Exhaust Manifold Studs

(1) There is never anything "easy" about an "EZ-OUT"!

The following methods require patience! If that is not your style then move on to the next thread... It is always easier if the pipes/flanges are out of the way...

(2) If the nuts are rounded off, heat the nut cherry-red then hammer on a slightly smaller size socket and remove.

(3) If you are just dealing with stubs or studs, heat the manifold around each stud until it is cherry-red and remove it with a stud puller. A stud that is moving will go: "eeeeee, eeeeee, eeeeee" as you turn it.

(4) If there are no stubs to grab on to, it may be easier to just remove the manifold from the cylinder head and do the stud work on the bench.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 08-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Lord of the Minions

Nothing beats the game of extracting broken studs/bolts etc like patience. I've seen older hands using reversible torque wrenches on older equipment parts that they knew was prone to snapping bolts. I would see them removing heads etc. and if the bolt or stud was at risk to break, they would drill off the head of the bolt or end of the stud that had the nut. After sliding off the head or the part in question, they'd be left with a larger portion of stud etc to grab and slowly coax with heat, oil, torque and of course tender love. But I always felt that was a little anyl.(and yes I know I mis-spelled it. lol)

But, here's the latest. I've, since the last posting to this thread, ordered several books and publications on Hammer EDM and CNC EDM workings. So, with that in mind, I'll have a project or 2 in the works soon on this in the "projects room".

From what I'm seeing and reading on the subject so far, a very simple knowledge of electronics and basic skills regarding the making of PC boards, and the use of pen soldering guns on electronic parts is needed. Good thing for my early years as a Ham. No pork jokes, I'm touchy about my weight.

LW

Old 08-24-2006, 04:22 AM
Lord of the Minions

Coming soon to SFT.

Ok, the first of the EDM work books are arriving. I think it's time for a soon to be started EDM build thread. It looks like 2 will be built. One to be CNC and the other to be manual setup with auto quill feed.

The new thread should be coming together in a few weeks.

Cutter, we need to talk.

LW

Old 08-24-2006, 03:14 PM

Well, this may just be the local method, but when the heat, welding nuts on top, lubricants, etc. don't work, we just take the torch and blow the studs out of the block. This works on Cat exhaust manifold studs, anyway, as I watched a more skilled welder than myself torch out 4 on one motor, and I have since tried it myself. If you are steady and can stand the sparks and slag, you can remove almost all of the stud without damaging the threads in the hole. Just clean the trash out of the hole with a small magnet and pick, and chase the threads with a tap. Anyone else tried this method?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Blast this!

Have watched better men than myself do it with a torch in Industry. always created more work when I tried ,except on D2 tool steel.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

I've blown quite a few out with a torch. Sometimes it works OK, sometimes I wish I hadn't tried it.