View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

You know doc, all those studs & trusses always make me think of 2 things:
1. old model airplane kits, gluing all those fragile little sticks together and being amazed at how strong they were. I am comforted a lot by all that bracing & the way you bolted the trusses to the walls. That has got to be good.

2. Brian Walker. About thirty years ago I had asked a new builder I knew about contracting my own house - a style he wanted nothing to do with. He recommended I hunt a up guy named Brian Walker, said he was the best framing contracter around at that time. I later lost my appetite for that project after I got a little more education about the impracticality of it but I remembered the name.

Two or three years later, my old buddy Harold & his wife got the new house fever. One Sunday afternoon he corraled me to ride out south of town to look at a new lot he had bought, so we were standing around out there looking at dirt mostly but I kept hearing this framing nailer going rat-tat-tat-tat so I wandered off in the direction of the sound, Harold tagging along. We came upon this tall, lean browned guy in the process of slapping the top plate on some wall sections. We wound up helping him stand up the last wall of the frame on about a 2500 sq ft house. He said he just had a couple of bedroom closets, 2 little partitions each & that would wind up his day, and all the walls on that house. Turned out he had chalked the slab the previous afternoon while he was waiting for delivery of his framing package, started early that Sunday morning & finished the walls before dark. By himself - he always worked by himself as it turned out. Said it kept him out of trouble with the government. So I asked him how long he estimated before he finished that house. "Nine days, dried in." He said he did one house a month, took 21 days off, then did another. He charged the same as a framing crew ($3000 and in 1975 or '76, that was pretty fair wages), worked 9 straight days and went home. His name was Brian Walker.
I was awestruck; hell, I am still filled with admiration for that guy and I have never seen him since.

So I look at the building threads here every day; DDA is giving us the lesson in concrete, Red is building his concrete block castle, Cary & crew slapped up that steel building in what seemed to me like record time & here you are with your stick frame shop. Four very good and very different building threads in 4 very different climates with their particular demands & needs. All equally impressive and interesting to me.

I think there is something in the nature of all men and little boys that loves to see a building going up, especially when we know it's going to be a shop

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."