Thread: CAD software.
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Talking

I use TurboCad.

I started with Turbocad 3, that I bought cheap on ebay back around 2003 ish?
I wanted to learn how to use a cad system to help layout handrails and other projects at old job. Our office lady/ bookkeeper had a program that she would use to help get us started, but I wanted more info/ planning. So I set out to learn a program on my own. I never really got the hang of it, but I didnt really stick with it, nor did I have anyone to teach me. So I gave up for a while.

Couple years later, I decided to try again with Turbocad 6, again bought on ebay for cheap, since it was a year or two old, with newer versions out already.

I found it easier, and then managed to start doing more drawings, and the boss actually asked me to do some then. I took a into class at local college, that used autocad. I didn't really like autocad software, but only because I was used to the Turbocad format. But I really took the class to help my drawing skills. I did learn a few tricks, that helped me advance my skils.

When I started at the Hydraulic shop, my new boss learned of my cad drawing, and expressed interest in maybe pursueing having drawings done for certain jobs. He was doing drawings by hand, as needed for jobs.

He bought a new laptop and current version of Turbocad for both him and I to use, but I continued to use my own laptop. He did buy me my own updated software for my laptop, so I have done a couple drawings for work, but mostly to help me as I make parts. I will do a drawing of parts, for jobs that we see more than once, or make changes too, and to make it easier the next time we get cylinder in with broken/ missing parts, in order to remake it back to original. At least, if I do a cad drawing, chances are good that I will be able to make out the dimensions/ writing a year later, vs my hand drawn picture in a notebook.

So I probably use the software more for my side jobs than for work. But I'm still happy that my boss did buy it for me.

I did try google sketchup a couple years ago, but did not keep using it enough to learn it.

I remember a fellow SFT'r make the following comment when a thread asked what was the Best Cad program out there. His answer... "The one you know how to use."

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden