View Single Post
  #3  
Old 11-13-2019, 04:01 AM
mccutter's Avatar
mccutter mccutter is offline
Do I have a life?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 10,677
Default Part 3

(continued from above)

I cut the 9-pin connector off the 63895 in preparation to solder the K-870 connector in. I left plenty of cord because my goal is to sell it to someone looking to make a hand control or something for their Vulcan TIG. That way the K-870 connector will be "free".

Before soldering, I made sure the K-870 connector was slid down the 63895 cable. I also added a piece of clear tube and some shrink-tube to help stiffen and make more durable the area just outside the connector. This is a common area for wires to be damaged.

Even though the wire colors were the same, three of the five wires between the K-870 and 63895 were in different locations on the pot and switch. I had to de-solder a wire because I realized I had put it on the wrong pin...

Had some trouble with butane devices used to shrink the tubing. The first pencil torch I used caught fire in my hand because of a leak but I was quickly able to turn it off and put it out. Then another one I had wasn't working. Then the small propane torch I used worked OK, but kept leaking at the valve after I removed the torch head. I left it outside to leak out to avoid a fire inside.

Once everything was together, I tested the 300/300 with the 63895 pedal. The welds could have been better once dialed in but I didn't have any 3/32" filler, only 1/16" and 1/8". My scraps were old and dirtyish and I started running out of Argon and didn't feel like digging out another cylinder. I am happy with the results nonetheless (ie: the welder works!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nogoingback.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	153024   Click image for larger version

Name:	soldered.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	153025   Click image for larger version

Name:	conndone.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	153026   Click image for larger version

Name:	tig300ac.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	153027   Click image for larger version

Name:	itworks.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	153028  

__________________

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 11-13-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote