View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 12:15 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Yes, single end, 3/8" shank, 0.200 tip is what I use all the time.

Double ended ones do not hold very well in drill chucks so I don't recommend them, (shanks are ground just a little smaller so the chuck clamps on the larger diameter of the tip) .
I prefer single ended style but in 1/2" diam., not with the reduced tip diam. The larger diam. seems to wait just a second longer before popping and therefore I think I get a slightly more precise location. Very rarely do I have need of anything else. And if you're using an edgefinder be aware that you can't run them too fast--I usually limit mine to 700-800 rpm. If you go faster the centrifugal force of the tip when it's offset will overcome the strength of the spring that holds it and in an instant the tip is going whackety, whackety, whackety against the vise or the workpiece and it's instant scrap. You'll try to avoid it and most of the time you'll remember to check the speed before powering up the spindle but if you use an edgefinder much you will eventually waste one. I know because I several in a drawer in my toolbox.

As for papers just grab a pack of cigarette paper. They average between .001" to .0015" in thickness which is plenty close enough for most of what I do. If I'm starting from scratch I'll usually use an edgefinder but I occasionally run into a situation where I've already got a tool in the spindle and I need to find an edge--it's real simple to grab a cigarette paper and run the tool up against it--drill, endmill, counter bore; it doesn't matter. I usually turn the speed up a bit; seems to make for a little more precise location.

A co-ax indicator is a great tool but it's no good for finding edges. It is, however, the slickest thing ever for finding the centre of a bore or locating the centre of any round feature on a part. I wouldn't be without one...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?