View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 02:29 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default Page 7b

posted by: OlPilot

Cutter my boss has an identical vise and he says it's pinned. He rebuilt his also. It may be difficult to find the pin.

Cutter, well, here's what I found out. There is a pin on each side approximately in the area shown, symmetrically located. They may be hard to find, so Bruce suggests polishing the area to shiney metal and using a cotton swab with nitric acid. The pin should show up. The nut is shaped as shown, but the nut is cast and can be broken with excessive force. (Bruce told me not to ask how he knew!)
The nut, at last count, costs $85!

P.S. forgot to mention - Bruce says the two pins are only nut retention devices. They don't take any rotational loads as the vise is tightened. The back flange of the nut is machined to engage the bore to provide anti-rotation.

Art

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted by: 7018

On my search for a bigger vice than the 5 inch i found, I did find a 4 inch combo but the man wouldnt sell it!! he said it was his Dads and he's 55 so its old i guess!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted by Cutter 03-19-2004

Thanks so much OP. You are indeed a princely fellow.

I had found an exploded view of a similar model on the Grainger site but as you can see, it leaves a little to the imagination. Last time I had the vise on the ground & let it dry off well, I saw a little dimple that made me wonder if there might be pins involved. This drawing confirmed that (assuming the design holds true for older models) but I was still not sure how far back on the cone to expect to find them. I got a little daylight left today so I think I'll go hoist it up and take a look.

quote:
Originally posted by 7018
On my search for a bigger vice than the 5 inch i found, I did find a 4 inch combo but the man wouldnt sell it!! he said it was his Dads and he's 55 so its old i guess!!!!!!!

Did you think to ask him if he would put you in his will?

posted by: 7018

Nope didnt do that but i mite !!! Good thinking cutter.

posted by Cutter 03-19-2004

Bingo!

quote:
Originally posted by OlPilot
Cutter, well, here's what I found out. There is a pin on each side approximately in the area shown, symmetrically located. They may be hard to find, so Bruce suggests polishing the area to shiney metal and using a cotton swab with nitric acid. The pin should show up. The nut is shaped as shown, but the nut is cast and can be broken with excessive force. (Bruce told me not to ask how he knew!)
The nut, at last count, costs $85!

Hee hee hee! Got it out, OP. No problemma.
Pictures & details tomorrow, I have other things to do this evening.
Stay tuned, folks. As Franz says, this gives us a chance to do more commercials.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 nut4a.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	154091   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 partsbreakdown.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	154092   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 nutout.jpg
Views:	8