Thread: Great site
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Aaron, this may be fortuitous for me, as I am going to look at a job this morning that wants some brackets made of 4130. They are to hang a piece of equipment on the wall weighing about #1000. I have not seen their design yet but they indicated that they wanted to use chromoly tubing. So, what are some good tips for welding chromoly? Also, what processes can be used, and still retain the good properties of the material, and what procedures?
I realize that this is pretty broad, but I'll know more this afternoon.

Thanks,

Well , the only place you really get into trouble is the cooling cycle after a weld, and in some cased hydrogen embrittlement. Any of the common technologies ( i.e. OA, Tig, Mig, SMAW) can be used on 4130 with excellent results, provided a proper procedure is used. Depending on the thickness and joint configuration, it is safer to say that any electric welding will require some form of pre-heat and post-weld treatment to alleviate the possible problems formed by the rapid cooling nature of electric welding. This is the reason you still see a lot of OA welding on thinner 4130...by virtue of the large heat imput the resultant cooling rates for a weldment are very slow, so we eliminate a lot of steps, work, and time. However sections over about 3/16" typically benefit from electric welding in terms of effeciency and lower distortion, however there are still pre and post weld measures that are typically taken. So there is a broad sense of the material from an engineering perspective.
-Aaron