View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
60° threading is not hard to learn but takes practice to get it right. Each lathe is different, I threaded a 2" shaft for a cider press out of SS bar stock, it was a bastard to thread and made one hell of a mess, a couple of years ago. No extra stock and Acme threads. By the time I was done, I had learned never let the customer supply the SS for the job, but it worked. Not very fun for the first few passes. But I learned allot in the process.
Good thing it was a T&M job. So I priced in the new threading tool and the Acme threading inserts for it. Now I just need to get the 60° threading inserts for it. The original brass shaft lasted 60 years but he wanted SS, he paid for that choice very dearly.
Good luck learning, expect to scrap your first few attempts, use new nuts for test fitting the threads
The nut should screw on with hand pressure only, with very little play in the threads. Use light passes until you learn what your lathe likes. Also use known material for your first threading test bars. It is better to spend a little money on new material than spend hours trying to thread a piece of scrap you picked up somewhere.
Learn to grind your own tooling, it in the long run will save you money.
HF tool bits are fine for roughing, but get some HSS toolbits and a South Bend book on Lathes, IIRC it has a section on grinding HSS tooling.
Dan.
Have to agree with you on machining the stuff, a stainless nut and shaftcan grab so bad you have to cut the nut to remove it, plus it can walk all over the place when welding.