View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Elite Member

I usually just rip off a piece of paper from the notebook I am working for. My thinking is I check it with the calipers I tend to use, and usually is about .003. And then I can use what ever drill or cutter I have in the mill holder or chuck at the time. If I am trying to find the center of a round shaft to cut a key way, I will add both the cutter diameter and the size of the round stock together, and then decide by 2, to get the distance I have to move the table after I feel the cutter grab the paper. Depends on how much I tore the paper detriments if I add a an extra .001 or two to make up for the paper thickness. I guess if you use cigarettes papers, you need to sneak up more carefully in order it to leave a mark on the work. The .003 paper gives me a little cushion for moving too quickly.

And by using the paper saves time from switching out the edge finder and putting the cutter back in, too.

If you have a lot of runout in your spindle, you could check both sides of the work, to detrimine the true center of the shaft. The drill chuck that I put in the main mill at work has about .007 runout. I think it was crashed a time or two, so I don’t trust that one too much anymore.

Most of the work I do, I have tolerance of +- ,002 anyways, or more as I watch the other guys work.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden