View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
I don’t have an issue with an engineered slab, I’ve likely been involved in 20-30 of them over the years, maybe more. Most though are unheated storage garages.

I’ve done some that were heated, but they didn’t bother with a thermal barrier around the outside, so it leads to cold floor around the walls, and warm ground up against the building. Not really a good thing.

Heat I’m either going to go with a gas fired space heater or infrared, but it’s relatively small, we’re only talking 20’ x 30’.

Package price I already got. 20’ x 30’, 2x6 walls, 8 x 16 door, 34” man door, truss, roof sheating with 25 year shingles, vinyl siding for the outside, and the insulation package. No interior finish material, as I’m debating what I would go with. Price was about 12,500 before tax for a place out of Edmonton.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

A garage door that wide is something I would stay away from myself. I have seen a 16' wide door header sag towards the middle and cause problems (father-in-law's garage), and eventually get replaced with two single doors with a central pillar to stop the header sag.
Something else to consider with respect to a garage with a rear or side alley is snow clearing. Here the back alleys used to be kept clear by the garbage removal contractor as the bins were at the back property line, but once they changed to individual house, front street pick up, the alleys are no longer kept clear. Right now, the one behind my house is under between 2 and 3 feet of snow and going to get deeper before spring gets here.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein