View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 PM

Chris, for finding punch marks and lines etc I use a pin.

A trick taught to me when an apprentice is put a piece of plasticine, blu tak , chewing gum or whatever on the cutter and stick a taylor’s pin to it. Run the mill at a couple of hundred rpm and true the end of the pin up by pushing it with the back of your thumb nail. Don’t worry about the head of the pin, it’s only the tip that needs to run true.

Once its running true you can use a jewellers eye glass (loop) to line it up with marks. It’s plenty accurate enough for most things quite easy to get within a few thou like this with the right eye glass.

Not sure the health and safety nazi’s would like this in a work place now but this was in the early 1980,s and I still have all my fingers For working at home it’s your risk.

To me it’s easy, quick, accurate & cheep, what’s not to like?

As others have said, use a piece of paper to find edges.

Different papers have different thickness but if you are working to any accuracy you will have callipers or a mic to hand so easy to measure if that degree of accuracy is really necessary.

For me the most important accessory to have for a mill is a sharpie marker pen. Use it for marking out, then scribe lines through it (like dyechem),put a mark on the work piece and touch down until the cutter scratches it to pickup surfaces and also without a DRO use it to mark the dials so you can keep track of where you are relative to the reference faces of the work piece.

Expensive high tech is all well and good but for hobby use the old tricks are usually plenty accurate enough in skilled hands, which I’m sure yours will become with a little practice.

Enjoy your new toy.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app