View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 AM

Default help w/ new central machinery mill/drill 981

i see i am not the only one with a new mill/drill. but my knowledge of such machines is limited to what i could gleen off the internet thingee.

i previously got a bunch of help from some of you regarding milling on my lathe last year(thank you for the help), but sadly, i finally realized that in order to do certain things i needed a milling machine.

i am a mechanically inclined human with many years experience with woodworking and wood working machines. not so much with the metal stuff. i have figured most of the machine in question out(i'll get to it, just hold your horses) but i cannot figure for the life of me how to extract what i believe to be a r-8 shaft for a drill chuck from the spindle?

i have no documentation and can't seem to find any. there was a thread here from a few years ago about using the documentation from a jet-16 but i cant get a copy of that either. i'm doing something wrong, i guess.

anyway, it's a central machinery #981 mill/drill(complex machine) from 1983. 1.5 horsies single phase 115v made in taiwan. used once or twice. no wear. at all. came with two drill chucks, three vises, two trays of hold down bolts and shims, drill bits. surface mills that fit an r-8(i guess). everything seems to be in amazing working order runs quiet bla bla bla. perfect for what i need it for and the right price.

is there some procedure listed somewhere to extract this r-8 shaft without taking the largest hammer handy and going to town cussing and swearing and generally rendering useless said machine?

or if someone has the docs from this machine, lemme know.