View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Posts: n/a
Default Cast Elbow with mounting "ears"

I think the are called "drop ells". They are a cast copper 90*fitting, sweat on one end, with 1/2NPT on the other. More importantly, the have mounting "ears" on them that let you screw it to the wall. They are great for the shower spout to supply line connection.

They also work great to anchor the airline at the quick coupling. I do not know if there are other fittings that have mounting ears avaliable, but it sure would be handy.

McMaster Carr has some nylon plastic blocks that I like for mounting lines. Last homeshop I helped to finish, we used 2x's laid flat, 19.2" on center, for two main reasons.

One reason was to increase the insulation capacity of the existing 2x4 wall. The other was to provide continous "ribbons" of solid blocking for surface mounting conduit/outlets, and airline mounting. Outlets are ~19.2" above the air line run.

We used 2x6's for the main outlet and airline runs, the others were 2x6's ripped in half. (One 2x6 is Cheaper than two 2x3, for some reason.) I even pitched the airline 2x6 (1/16" per foot [1/4" on 4 foot level]) to follow the airline slope.

The copper type "L" 3/4 inch "main" is configured with the 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" Tee's pointing up, then a 2" length of 1/2" pipe, then a "drop ell", then a brass street ell, then the airline quick-coupler.

Thus, with this layout, any water is free to flow back to the tank. The brass street ell, lets the quick coupler point straight down, rather than straight out from the wall. This is just to keep the quick couplers more "tucked in".

Pretty nice system, well secured to the sheetrocked (5/8" firecode rated, just because) wall, (pet peeve of mine is loose "crap" supposedly screwed to the wall), nicely pitched back to tank, rust free, and no where near the effort of black iron pipe.

The blocking worked nice for the outlet runs too. So well, that if I could get a good deal on some "surplus", next project, I would consider using plywood, (craigslist?) under the sheetrock. mark
Reply With Quote