View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 02:12 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by staybusy View Post
Damn marketing wank haha, appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

This morning I tried calling about 20 places and unfortunately they either don't have any or they only sell huge quantities.

So my options at this point are:

1) buy overpriced mobile1 oil online

2) buy royal purple and do oil changes every couple hundred hours of run time

3) use penzoil gear and axle oil sae 80w 90 - it was recommended by one guy I called. I guess it's similar to royal purple and the additives will degrade though and the specs aren't right
You should be able to find a Mobil distributor, or call a Petro Canada distributor and see if they have a Worm Gear oil.

ANY automotive oil will fuck up you worm gear; changing it often will not solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
My apologies to Ron for this:
I have used white lithium grease with a squirt of motor oil added and had no issues. White lithium is very oily, and I remove the Chinese Yellow Yak Fat from the angle grinder gearboxes and put lithium in and the heat goes way down.

If you are going to use penzoil gear oil, don't- get the right stuff.
Most white lithium grease are not EP greases, so no sulfur, you are likely just fine with it. Sulfur in an engine oil is in the form of ZDDP so it is pretty well tied up. Not much of a corrosion issue there.

Worm gear oils are also know as compounded oils, very old term. 5-10% prime burning lard oil in a paraffin base stock.

You want a WORM GEAR OIL. Call around and find one. DO NOT use any automotive gear oil...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley