View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Roving Reporter

Default Antique Barnes #5 Lathe

As Ironman requested, here are pictures of my antique Rockford? lathe. I say Rockford, because I found a label saying it was built in Rockford, Ill. In modern terms, it will turn 12" between 36" centers. I have a 4 jaw, faceplate, centers and drive dog, and steady rest for it, as well as some apparently shopmade collets, toolpost grinder, and what looks to be a milling vise. Compared to a modern lathe of similar size, it is very light and flimsy. It breaks down into pieces no more than 100# each. BTDT a couple times now.

As far as I can tell, this lathe is nearly 100 years old. The original lineshaft drive was an optional upgrade as there is evidence on the headstock leg that treadle drive was an option (note the drilled boss in the center of the leg). It was converted to an electric motor drive long before I had anything to do with it, but the original clutch on the jack shaft is still there and still works.

It is a change gear lathe with a back gear. The odd thing is it has not one, but two lead screws that turn in opposite directions. Flipping the feed lever on the apron one way from neutral feeds the carriage right to left, the other way feeds the carriage left to right.

The plate seen on the headstock leg gives different gear ratios required for threading.

There is no compound, and it has a simple rocker style tool post.

The only lathe I have seen of similar vintage was in the lobby of Modern Tool in Cowtown. That lathe was treadle drive and had a quick change gearbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5661.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	151574   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5662.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	151575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5664.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	151576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5672.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	151577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5673.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	151578  

Last edited by camdigger; 07-21-2019 at 07:43 PM.