View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 11:31 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Well, discussion of late is putting this back into the realm of possibility.

Been working on getting some pricing on 20x30, looking at maxing out on height with 12’ walls, and a 12’ wide, x 10’ high door.

Too much snow to confirm measurements, I think I’m maxed on width at 20’, length, if I can, I’m hoping to go a little more. 36’ is likely the absolute max I can go to on the length.

I hope to get some more numbers together over the next couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
For my taste, 20' is a bit narrow for a 2 car garage. I'd like 22 minimum and as much as 26' if you can get away with it.

I think a full size extended cab pickup with an 8' box is on the order of 22' bumper to bumper. At least that is the number that I recall for my GM. 26' in depth of the garage gives just enough to walk around it, but no more.

I had gas fired infra red heat put in my shop nearly 20 years ago. I like it a lot. Virtually instant heat when required, and I can still turn the heat way down when I want to. I think you may be required to go to 2 x 6 wall even on a garage now. Worth checking. It does give another 2" of insulation.

Something I nearly got bitten with is having enough room above the door opening for the overhead door header. Apparently a double 2 x 12 is only good for a 10' opening.....long story.