Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Welding Training (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30627)

Coupebuilder 08-16-2011 02:41 PM

Welding Training
 
I am frequently asked about teaching welding classes in my shop. I always enjoyed sharing what has taken me years to learn the hard way and if I can make a few bucks why not. I have a friend who is also an excellent welder with about the same amount of experience as myself (20 yrs) My initial thoughts run something like this:

Saturday or Sunday classes
10am-6pm with one hour lunch
very small class 6-8 people max (3-4 per "instructor")
Students can bring their own mig/tig if they have one for proper setup and operating instruction
apprx 1 hour of parts preparation, different properties of ferrous non-ferrous materials basic layout etc
3 hours Mig (mostly hands on with our machines)
1 hour Tig basics/theory
2 hours Tig hands on

Price will be 195.00 per student for the day and will include lunch and materials. They will need to bring their own gloves etc, but we will provide everything else including helmets.

Wondering if anyone (especially newbie welders) has any comments...good idea/bad idea, what you would like to learn etc.

Tally ZJ 08-16-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupebuilder (Post 440309)
I am frequently asked about teaching welding classes in my shop. I always enjoyed sharing what has taken me years to learn the hard way and if I can make a few bucks why not. I have a friend who is also an excellent welder with about the same amount of experience as myself (20 yrs) My initial thoughts run something like this:

Saturday or Sunday classes
10am-6pm with one hour lunch
very small class 6-8 people max (3-4 per "instructor")
Students can bring their own mig/tig if they have one for proper setup and operating instruction
apprx 1 hour of parts preparation, different properties of ferrous non-ferrous materials basic layout etc
3 hours Mig (mostly hands on with our machines)
1 hour Tig basics/theory
2 hours Tig hands on

Price will be 195.00 per student for the day and will include lunch and materials. They will need to bring their own gloves etc, but we will provide everything else including helmets.

Wondering if anyone (especially newbie welders) has any comments...good idea/bad idea, what you would like to learn etc.

Man, I have lots of questions. I would love this sort of class.

Would you be willing to put together some kind of an "online" class here on the forum for those that can't afford gas to get to Dunkirk, NY? :D

Maybe set up some exercises that we can do at home and post our results with settings.

I don't know if you have the time for this but it sure would be helpful.

I would be willing to pay for it, not sure what I could afford, but I love this idea.

Jody Collier has done a wonderful job on his youTube videos, but he doesn't dedicate a lot of time to any one discipline.

USMCPOP 08-16-2011 03:19 PM

How many machines do you have and you can run at once? The "hands on" part for 6-8 people will be the killer.

Coupebuilder 08-16-2011 04:06 PM

I have 2 Powermig 255's one with spoolgun, a Tig 355 and a Tig 255 as well as a few small portable machines if needed. So if we had a max class of 8, I would have four start with tig and 4 start with mig and switch at lunch. They can partner up for the hands on and help each other with our direct supervision. So worst case scenario 2 per machine. To me just burning wire (like padding) is worthless for a short class. Most of my guys will be looking to fix things and work on personal projects so we can concentrate on the weld prep, proper tack sequencing, heat control, and why's and werefore's not just "do it this way because I said so" If time permits I will also try to incorporate a small weld test based on AWS D1.1 so they can see their own results.

USMCPOP 08-16-2011 04:25 PM

Sounds like you have given it some thought, that is always good. Do you think your prospective clientelle can stand one long session or should it be two sessions? It's obviously better for you to get them in and out in one.

DrBob 08-16-2011 04:26 PM

I'm on my way!
 
My Google Maps makes it 480 Miles and about 5 Hrs drive. I wonder if there is commercial airline service to Chautauqua County-Dunkirk Airport?

If I can free the time I'll sign up. Let me know when you plan to start the class.

I am particularly interested in learning to TIG as I can mess things up o.k. with MIG and I'll probably never be any good at stick! :)


One caution I would take before I spent any money on this is to check with your insurance agent about any possible legal liability that you might be exposing yourself to.

He can write a policy to protect you and your friend for probably a reasonable amount of premium. You should of course, include that as a cost in figuring your class fee. (It is also a legitimate write-off on next year's Federal and NYState income tax along with uniforms, welding expendables, safety equipment etc).

Last year we had a boy nearly take off part of his hand during a shop class at the local BOCES. Our ER physician at Nyack Hospital and a marvelous young Hand surgeon who recently joined our staff put him back together, but the cost to the school's insurance carrier was in the mid 5 figures. Fortunately his family didn't sue.

Let us know how things are going and the class dates as early as possible.

DrBob

HobbyDon 08-16-2011 05:28 PM

Coupebuilder,
I think you have a great idea going. I would really like to learn the TIG but to far for me to travel. I hope people in your area see what a great opportunity this is. Best of luck.
HobbyDon

Tally ZJ 08-16-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HobbyDon (Post 440334)
Coupebuilder,
I think you have a great idea going. I would really like to learn the TIG but to far for me to travel. I hope people in your area see what a great opportunity this is. Best of luck.
HobbyDon

Hey! Maybe this will turn into something for him and he can get tax money for a new travel bus ( :rolleyes: Why not? Obama did it ) and he can start a new Magical Mystery Tig-a-Mig tour. :D

terry lingle 08-16-2011 08:13 PM

I think you have a good concept but you should separate the processes.
Teach a mig class or a tig class as you get the pupils. 6 hours of instruction is just enough to get most students started with a process but not enough to handle two processes.

derekpfeiffer 08-17-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry lingle (Post 440365)
I think you have a good concept but you should separate the processes.
Teach a mig class or a tig class as you get the pupils. 6 hours of instruction is just enough to get most students started with a process but not enough to handle two processes.

I agree...many people may know one or the other already!....

Great idea!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.