Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How to straighten a bent fence post (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51221)

MotorDoctor 09-06-2019 06:47 PM

How to straighten a bent fence post

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all:
any suggestions on how to straighten this fence post? The sanitation truck hit it trying to make the turn, backed up and kept going. Have it on video with a nice clear shot of the driver's face. The other nice thing is after the jerkoff hit the fence and drove off, the tenant's pit bull got loose and was wandering the neighborhood. Luckily somebody knew the dog and brought it back before it decided to eat somebody.

The company that put the fence up doesn't seem to want to come fix it, I guess if we're not handing him $5K for the fence, it's not worth his while. We called another fence company and they pretty much have the same attitude as the first guys. The tenant is going ape shit because he can't let his dog out because he's afraid it will get out or hurt itself trying to get out.

So anyway, I'm going to try to jury rig it back together enough to get the tenant off my back until I can come up with somebody that will repair it. Not a fence guy, barely know enough to be dangerous. From what I saw, it's a piece of pipe stuck in the ground with concrete poured around the bottom for support. I don't think the pipe is heavy wall but I could be wrong. The pipe bent at the concrete when the truck hit it. I will be out of town next week so I only have Sunday to work on it before I hit the road.

Here's the methods I was considering trying:
  • Stick a piece of black pipe down the inside of the bent pipe and try to pull it back into place as a lever
  • Stick a piece of black pipe down the pipe that is still straight to stiffen it, put another piece of pipe down the bent one, leaving enough sticking out for leverage purposes and use a ratcheting tie down to pull the bent one back into place.
  • Depending on whether or not the concrete base got shifted out of place, cut the bent pipe off flush with the concrete, stick a piece of black pipe down the hole with enough sticking up to hold either the cut off pipe or a new fence post suitably sized to match the existing pole.

Any other suggestions or any of those methods sound feasible? Thanks.

Steeveedee 09-06-2019 06:53 PM

I got nothing except that I recommend that you track time and materials to get reimbursement from the waste hauler. And keep that footage!

GWIZ 09-06-2019 07:05 PM

Place the video on Youtube and send a link to the sanitation company.
Also state it looks like hit and run if he did not leave contact information.

MotorDoctor 09-06-2019 07:18 PM

The sanitation department is running us around on this, I was nice enough not to file a hit and run with the local PD. If push comes to shove I can always offer the video to the local news channels, they eat that shit up :devil:
What they are lucky about is that the dog didn't eat anybody. Since they hit and run on the fence, they would be liable for the dog being loose. My wife called them, they referred her to their online website to submit a claim. The wife said she tried uploading the information they wanted three times, and three times it blanked out all the data she put in. She's smart enough to have copied the data before she submitted it so she didn't have to do it three times. She ended up having to fax it over. Looks like a typical agency around here, trying their best to make it such a pain in the ass that you give up.

digr 09-06-2019 07:24 PM

Put a chain on it and use a come along.

Ironman 09-06-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 741484)
Put a chain on it and use a come along.

you beat me to it Ted.
I could add that putting a bar down inside it and pulling from the top of the pipe, will help prevent the dreaded "S" bend.
Use a car or pickup as an anchor for the come along. If you have the luxury of two vehicles and two come alongs, you can hook up with the pullers in a V, (from two different angles) to 'steer' the pipe where you want it to be.

gnewby 09-06-2019 08:45 PM

You might check your local newpaper etc for a handyman service and see if they will fix the damage. You will probably have to pay them, and then get a copy of the bill and send it to the sanitation dept. Or call the supervisor of the sanitation dept. and see where to send the bill.

MotorDoctor 09-06-2019 09:15 PM

I was just thinking of one other possible method. Since the post is put in the ground, concrete is poured around the post, water mixed and the concrete set. I wonder if I could work the bent post out of the concrete, and just slide a new one in its place. I guess that would depend on how much grip the concrete gets on those posts once it sets up.

randydupree 09-06-2019 09:25 PM

Hurricane Michael blew over about 50 feet of my chainlnk fence,6 foot tall stuff with barbed wire on top.
When i tried to straighten the post they all kinked.
I put all new posts in with new concrete.
You have one post bent?
Put a new one in and move on!

One more section of my fence is leaning at a 15 degree angle,it will be like that forever!

The wind blew this fence over,no kidding.

TEK 09-06-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 741491)
you beat me to it Ted.
I could add that putting a bar down inside it and pulling from the top of the pipe, will help prevent the dreaded "S" bend.
Use a car or pickup as an anchor for the come along. If you have the luxury of two vehicles and two come alongs, you can hook up with the pullers in a V, (from two different angles) to 'steer' the pipe where you want it to be.

Maybe warm up the bend so its more willing to move...just watch out for popping concrete:D