Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Gooseneck Trailer Dovetail Rebuild (https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51188)

Matt Shade 08-27-2019 04:16 PM

Gooseneck Trailer Dovetail Rebuild

4 Attachment(s)
Got this trailer in to work on. Its about 24ft with a convertible dovetail. The deck folds up and legs drop down to make it a flat deck trailer. As you can see in this set of pics, the road salt did a number on it. Surprisingly the rest of the trailer is in pretty good shape. After a quick glance underneath it was decided to replace both pieces altogether.

Matt Shade 08-27-2019 04:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The new decks are a direct copy of the old ones, except for a slight change to the hinges to make welding easier.

The frames are 1/8" wall, 2" square tubing. The drop legs are 1.5" square tubing. Hinges are 9/16" rod in 1/2" pipe, and the decks are 1/8" treadplate.

I glued it together with .045 dual shield. I think I'm addicted to this stuff, love how it burns in, the puddle is very wet but still freezes reasonably fast. I had a small project that required it and I had to buy a 30lb roll cause nobody had a 10lb roll in stock. I left it in my bigger welder and have been swapping rolls of smaller wire in my 210 as needed. I'm going to have to think hard about buying another roll when this one is gone.

Matt Shade 08-27-2019 04:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here she is all put together and ready to go home. Its fun to make projects with moving parts and have them work like they're supposed to when you finish:D

digr 08-27-2019 05:04 PM

Looking good!!!! I weld just about everything I do with .045 dual shield and it doesn't mind a little rust.

digger doug 08-27-2019 07:08 PM

That looks exactly like mine, and I fixed it by just re-skinning, the frame work
was O.K.

milomilo 08-27-2019 07:17 PM

Nice repair.:)

Matt Shade 08-27-2019 10:05 PM

Thanks guys :)

I really like how well the dual shield runs on dirty stuff, and especially how much better it does outside. I just don't like the cost. A 30lb roll has gone a long way though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 740887)
That looks exactly like mine, and I fixed it by just re-skinning, the frame work
was O.K.

The customer initially asked me to cut the frame work off and save the skin, but the deck plate was full of holes too and when I gave him a price for doing it each way he decided all new was the better option.

I can't remember what brand of trailer it is, something from down in texas.

toprecycler 08-28-2019 04:16 AM

Looks good. Never seen a dove tail that converts to a flat bed. Neat.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

digger doug 08-28-2019 06:40 AM

I looked closer, mine is a full width one.

But same construction.

Matt Shade 08-28-2019 02:18 PM

That sounds heavy. This can be switched over by hand, but is a finger pinching SOB. I assume with one piece you lift it with a loader and chain or something?